Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spoolsv.exe Seems To Take Over Cpu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Liz1

Liz1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:10 PM

I have had problems with my laptop running hot, and with the CPU usage going to 100%. It's a new computer, with plenty of memory, so this shouldn't happen. I think I've traced it to the spoolsv.exe program. If I disable it, I don't have the problem, but I can't print. (I think this indicates it's the real program.) I have searched the internet for fixes and tried a few but nothing works. I know our other computers don't have this abuse by that program. All my antivirus, firewall, anti-spam, etc. programs are up-to-date, and nothing shows up as a problem when I scan. Any suggestions for how to cool off this program but allow it to run? thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

I have had problems with my laptop running hot, and with the CPU usage going to 100%. It's a new computer, with plenty of memory, so this shouldn't happen. I think I've traced it to the spoolsv.exe program. If I disable it, I don't have the problem, but I can't print. (I think this indicates it's the real program.) I have searched the internet for fixes and tried a few but nothing works. I know our other computers don't have this abuse by that program. All my antivirus, firewall, anti-spam, etc. programs are up-to-date, and nothing shows up as a problem when I scan. Any suggestions for how to cool off this program but allow it to run? thanks for your help

If the printer Spooler is causing overclocking on your PC I would think this is telling you the executable might be damaged or corrupted really bad. [ By the way, I've noticed your other posts on here. . .is this the same PC your having all of these problems with? If its a new Laptop. . . you could take it to an Authorized (brand) repair center and have it fixed under warranty. ]

#3 Liz1

Liz1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:20 PM

Thank you for your help. Can I just download a new copy from Microsoft and replace the old file with it, or does it come with lots of related material?
The PC is a year old. The hard disk issue is with my son's desktop - I'm just trying to see if we can get data off it during the few days he's home with the laptop this summer. (He didn't bring the desktop - just the bad drive, which is why I can't mount it internally. Our other desktops are much older.) I've had tech support out twice on the laptop, but I really think that file is what is causing the problem.
I think the teatimer issue is one that other people have. I'd like to keep using it, and I keep hoping one of the periodic program updates will end the issue.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:11 PM

You can get an adapter to hook the hdd up to your laptop.
Unless the hdd is a sata drive it should still be able to be read by older computers if you connect it as a slave,

Do you have a Windows Installation CD for the computer with the suspected spoolsv.exe problem? Or, does your computer have a restore partition on its hdd?

Many manufacturers now place a restore partition on their hdds, some with system tools to replace corrupt files and more.

What brand and model is it?

Edited by Enthusiast, 30 May 2006 - 05:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users