Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop becomes unresponsive after a few minutes, works fine in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 BrendanTanner

BrendanTanner

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

My laptop, a Gateway NV57H, starts up fine, but after 10 minutes or so it becomes incredibly slow and everything is unresponsive. I used to get a bluescreen (kernel_inpage_error) after it being in this state for a while, but I researched it, ran a memory diagnostic, and found out one of my sticks of RAM was fried. Replaced both, doubling the capacity to its limit (8GB) and I still have the problem. When task manager is open during all of this, it shows that I'm only using 1.6 GB of the 8GB of RAM available, so I don't think that's the problem. I ran chkdsk and sfc /scannow from the command prompt, both said there were no errors found on the hard drive. I've ran malwarebytes from safemode a couple of times, it found some trojans and potentially unwanted programs and such that I quarantined and deleted. that didn't seem to fix the problem, and scans now come up clean. I'm running another now, just in case. The laptop runs fine in safe mode, no lag and no errors. I researched some other threads where people had similar problems and they said it was caused by having two antivirus software trying to run at the same time. I have kaspersky, but it's outdated. I turned off windows defender because it was trying to scan, and then started back up and the problem still wasn't fixed. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be and how to fix it? Thanks!

Edited by BrendanTanner, 13 July 2014 - 12:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

If you don't have an antivirus program running at all times, you need to fix that ASAP.  Two good free ones are Avast and AVG.  MSE, Microsoft Security Essentials is another free one.  

To further inspect your system, please download and run Speccy from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/ .  After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

I think it may stem from having Kaspersky, I ran it for several years.  It is in conflict with Defender, I would get the removal tool it may cure the issue.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 BrendanTanner

BrendanTanner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

Okay, I ran speccy. Here's a screenshot of the overview, and the full text file. 

Attached Files

#5 BrendanTanner

BrendanTanner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

I think it may stem from having Kaspersky, I ran it for several years.  It is in conflict with Defender, I would get the removal tool it may cure the issue.

Are you sure that I should take that out? I've ran it since I got the laptop 3 years ago or so, and I've never had a problem with it until now. I disabled defender so it was the only thing I was running, and I still have the same problem. If it was in conflict shouldn't disabling defender solve it the same as removing kaspersky?

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

You may be right but I have seen so many issues on machines having two AV's, you say it is outdated so is it up to the task of watching out for new threats?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 BrendanTanner

BrendanTanner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

It isn't going to catch brand new threats, but I've had it protect me from viruses quite often. It's also useful for scanning files I've downloaded, but I'm planning on keeping malwarebytes on permanently from now on so I can use that to scan.

#8 BrendanTanner

BrendanTanner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

The only problem I'm having is that I can't turn windows defender back on. I don't want to disable that and then remove kaspersky, and when I search for it it doesn't show up. I've gone into the system services (something like that anyway, don't remember exactly what it was called) and tried to manually start it, but it still doesn't work. Might not be able to do it from safe mode, but I'm not sure that's the case.

#9 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

According to Speccy you do have Kaspersky antivirus enabled and up to date.

What jumps out at me is that it says your processor is 69 degrees.  That's hotter than its supposed to get, only by a few degrees, but Intel processors will automatically slow things down when they get too hot.  I suspect that's why it's slowing way down after 10 min.  I'd take compressed gas and blow it through the air intake ducts on the bottom of the laptop.  I do this about once a year on my laptop.  Be sure to power it off before doing that!  Dust builds up in these things over time and forms a blanket over the circuits resulting in a heat buildup.  If you don't have the laptop on a cooling pad, that's another thing that will help.  

Interestingly you have an almost identical configuration to mine with the exact same processor, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, and a 500 GB hard drive - small world!  FWIW my core temps are all under 40 C, but the only game I play is spider solitaire.

FWIW the Speccy report is a lot easier to read when you do this: After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  I got through it and got what I was looking for though so no big deal.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#10 BrendanTanner

BrendanTanner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

According to Speccy you do have Kaspersky antivirus enabled and up to date.

What jumps out at me is that it says your processor is 69 degrees.  That's hotter than its supposed to get, only by a few degrees, but Intel processors will automatically slow things down when they get too hot.  I suspect that's why it's slowing way down after 10 min.  I'd take compressed gas and blow it through the air intake ducts on the bottom of the laptop.  I do this about once a year on my laptop.  Be sure to power it off before doing that!  Dust builds up in these things over time and forms a blanket over the circuits resulting in a heat buildup.  If you don't have the laptop on a cooling pad, that's another thing that will help.  

Interestingly you have an almost identical configuration to mine with the exact same processor, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, and a 500 GB hard drive - small world!  FWIW my core temps are all under 40 C, but the only game I play is spider solitaire.

FWIW the Speccy report is a lot easier to read when you do this: After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.  I got through it and got what I was looking for though so no big deal.

Good luck.

That jumped out at me too when I saw it. I'm going to try and find a can of compressed air and clean it out, I'll post results in here after. Sorry about the Speccy thing, I was trying to do it fast before it froze up and didn't see the publish snapshot option. I use my laptop for a lot of gaming, so it does tend to be on the hotter side but I've never dusted it so I'm hoping that's the problem. I've been trying to fix it since May, so fingers crossed!

#11 BrendanTanner

BrendanTanner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Ha6JnmYzixR8GgkPJVqVsvZ Here's a new speccy report, so far so good. When I sprayed the air in the vent, a huge puff of dust came out.  It still jumps into the mid 50's when I start doing things, but that's still a lot cooler than it was prior. To think all it took was a 7 dollar can of compressed air, when I've been trying to fix it for months... I'm gonna try and run some more taxing things other than chrome and see if it holds up. Thanks so much for your help!

#12 BrendanTanner

BrendanTanner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

It didn't work. It lasted longer than it usually does, but still became unresponsive and froze.

CPU temp jumped to 61 C before it did.

#13 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

You're very welcome.  Thank you for the feedback.  It seems to be human nature that we often think of the most complicated things first and sometimes overlook the simpler ones.  I couldn't tell you how many times I've caught myself doing that.   :whistle:

Good luck.

#14 BrendanTanner

BrendanTanner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Could there be something wrong with my CPU or my heat sink?

#15 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

I see your laptop is 3 years or so old.   It's possible you might need to remove the CPU fan and replace the thermal compound.  Be sure to remove all the old compound before putting the new on.  Make sure to get all the dust out between the fins of that fan.

You could also run some programs to check for malware from here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ .  Try AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, and TDSSKiller to see if they can help.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users