Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Won't let me boot from dvd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

I just got a 1 1/2 yr old windows 8 Gateway 500 gb, 2.2 gh pentium, 4 gb ram laptop.  Probably made a mistake.  Girl I bought it from said the sound just quit when she fired it up to check it out before shipping it.  The audio jack is broken.  I think I can use a usb speaker, as the computer says it is still working when I tested it with a program I found in control panel audio.  I fired it up, changed profile to mine, and went to restart it so I could do some partitioning and add another operating system to dual boot.  At first it wouldn't shut down, for over an hour as it was configuring updates, then it couldn't install updates and was reconfiguring.  After an hour and a half I turned it off anyway.  The next several times I tried to start I got the same message.  I finally got into BIOS (had to click f12 instead of f8, or f2)  and set it to bood from dvd, thinking I could look at a few things with a live linux disk.  Tried to reboot and got a message saying security won't allow booting that way.  I've since gotten into windows 8, installed avast (I don't really want the norton on it) and am now running it.  Is there a way to disable the security so I can boot from a dvd?  Control panel install programs show it was set up on Dec 27, 2012  I was planning on dual booting and running both so I could have my files on 2 partitions with different operating systems in case of malware.  I'm just learning 8, I had an XP computer that still worked great.  I guess I'm still a little upset about having to get rid of a perfectly good computer.  Actually after dithering awhile I put linux on it, but still want to keep some of my windows programs.   Not sure what other info I should send.  Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

It sounds like you've run into the new replacement for the BIOS and hard drive formatting called UEFI.  This has been implemented for increased security, but it's SO secure that we can't do a lot of the things with it we used to do.  Here's a link to the Wikipedia article about it.  If you're new to this, you're in for a real education.   :bounce:

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

Ok, the link didn't come thru, but I went to wikipedia and read it anyway.  From what I read, both gparted (GPD)  and linux should open it anyway.  Gues I can go to the linux forum and see if they have any tricks.  Thanks for the comeback, and I've been getting a real education trying to learn about different linux distros.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

===========
CD/DVD BOOT
===========
1.  Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup Utility opens.

2.  Select Security menu

3.  Disable Secure Boot Configuration, then press Enter .

4.  Make sure legacy is enabled.

5.  When the warning comes up, it will want to you put in 4 numbers and a key combo.  Put in the numbers and the key it tells you to use

6.  Now you can boot from CD/DVD.

============
F8 SAFE MODE
============
Windows 8 introduced a new boot loader that decreased the time that it takes it to boot.  However, Microsoft in the "infinite wisdom" (sarcasm) removed the ability to use "F8" to boot into the safe mode.  Here is how to re-enable it:

1.  Open an elevated command prompt (administrator).
2.  Enter the command (no quotes): "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy"
3.  Press enter.  Now when you boot, press F8 like before, and it will start in safe mode.

To reverse the above:

1.  Open an elevated command prompt (administrator).
2.  Enter the command (no quotes): "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard"
3.  Press enter.
4.  Now you're back to the way it was when you got it.

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 13 July 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

I know some of the later versions of Ubuntu and Mint support UEFI, but you have to have a fairly current version of them.  

Sorry I forgot to post that link, but I see you found the info anyway.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

It'll be awhile.  Avast did a quick scan and found nothing,  My wife put it on a deep scan, and it is going real slow and scanning things not listed as being on, so probably what's been deleted.  Should have went with malwarebytes, but I've got this now and it usually does a thorough job, so I'll let it finish.  And Scotty, I think the first set of directions should be what I'm looking for.  And then I will attempt the second.  What's an elevated command prompt.  Is that when you type in msconfig and then give the prompt?  And wp, I have the newest mint mate, zorin, and avlinux,  hopefully 2 or so will work.

#7 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

To get to an elevated command prompt, go to Start and type CMD in the search box.  Right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator, and you'll be at an elevated command prompt.

Good luck.

#8 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Ok, thanks for the quick comeback.  But avast is still sitting at 0 %.  I'll give it another hr as I have other things to do.  On my other computer, will this one actually, it took about an hr for a deep scan.  It's way over that now.

#9 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

When you're scanning, does file name change?  Mine changed within a few seconds.

Have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 13 July 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#10 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Finished scanning finally, I was typing in a follow up when you sent.

When I went to restart, I got windows installing updates, then configuring updates, then couldn't configure re configuring, after a long time, I just turned it off again, when I tried to turn it on with f10, it went all the way to reconfiguring windows.  After 3 times, I used f12 for something different, and the only thing on the boot menu was microsofts.  I restarted, tapping f10 every 1/2 second or so and it went to a page saying it had to restore to an earlier date.  Been there 10 to 15 minutes.  Don't think windows is gonna be usable.  I'll keep trying a bit more, but think I need to figure something else out.  I don't have a rescue disk, can I download one, and will it work without booting from disk?

Edited by heyyou325, 13 July 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#11 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

I just got it to open wit linux mint.  If I just install it on half the hard drive will that work.

#12 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

What is your current setup?  Do you have some version of Windows and Linux installed and working?  I've installed Windows 8 in dual boot mode with Windows 7 on separate partitions with no problems, but I haven't done it with a UEFI system which I don't believe earlier versions of Windows will work with.  Linux uses the Grub loader, so if you install Windows 8 even in a separate partition, the Grub loader will fail because Windows 8 uses a different means of booting.  After installing Windows 8 you could probably go back and install Linux Mint on a separate partition.  I've done that with Windows 7, but not 8.  I've decided not to try having Windows and Linux coexist on my computers because of hard drive management differences.  YMMV.

Good luck.

#13 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

I have windows 8 which was preinstalled (I'm told).  No disk to reinstall with.  Gateway or windows, not sure who, did a repair, and what I've tried, not much, seems to work.  I posted this thread on the linux forum also. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/540830/used-windows-8-computer/   There I have recieved a lot of info, might take several days to read all links.  I was figuring on dual booting with windows8 (250gb)  and linux mint and a couple other OS (250gb).  I understand with uefi I have to have 64bit operating systems, and then some still won't, so I'm not sure which I can use.  I thought I could install Saturday, but it'll be awhile yet.  I'm doing too many other things I guess.  My 11 hours fishing today got me 10 fairly nice (11") kokanee.  I do appreciate everyones help, but I needed to step back awhile, again.  Is there a program with windows where I can make a copy of my windows 8 to use as a recovery disc?  And How?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users