Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Router on My Home Network--Please Advise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blinkstar

Blinkstar

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Hello all. My ISP is Clearwire. I have a linksys router directly linked to my desktop that also provides wifi to my house. My wifi has wpa2 enabled and is password protected. Yesterday I ran a program called SR Router Detector and it listed my linksys router and an unknown router--a Nokia Siemens. It has an internal IP that is one digit off from mine This router does not, as far as I can tell, show up under networking on my computer--it is only visible with SR Router Detector.

I reset my own router and changed the password and the unknown router disappeared for a full day.

Now it is back again.

What does this mean and what should I do? Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Edited by Blinkstar, 13 July 2014 - 12:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

Are you seeing less bars for the Nokia Siemens router?  My first guess would be that you could be seeing a neighbor's router.  I just checked my WiFi, and I'm seeing 5 neighboring routers.  Some folks put their routers on a power strip or surge protector they turn off when they shut their computer down.  This can cause these things to appear and disappear at seemingly random times.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Blinkstar

Blinkstar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for responding! The router detector I'm using ( you can try it yourself here: http://setuprouter.com/software/router-detector/ ) doesn't show bars--just the generic name of the router itself and its ip address. The mystery router may also be showing up under the available wifi listings on my laptop, which would show bars, but if it is it is showing up there it is named something other than "nokia siemens" ...

Please let me know if you need any other info ... I'm not that technically advanced so I may be leaving out vital info for all I know ...

EDIT: I forgot to add -- my desktop computer doesn't have wifi enabled--this router is not showing up via wifi on my desktop, but as a router connected to my router ... again, it only shows up through the software linked above, not through "network" on my computer.

Edited by Blinkstar, 13 July 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#4 briggs&straton

briggs&straton

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

if is truly a router, you should be able to get into its management.  Have you tried that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users