Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying XP Pro to replace XP Home

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 isoyoni

isoyoni

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Hi, new here. Hope you are well.

Gave up trying to fix the memory usage problem on a old Dell (original owner with XP home)  which I have since replaced with new Dell. Wanted to donate old Dell to non profit but it is running so bad as is. Saw a cheap unused new Windows Pro for Refurbished PC with Key, Full edition that I wanted to buy and load and get the pc back to normal. Computer going to Joseph's House in DC. Any thoughts/ Advice?

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Feel free to ask me questions. I have an XP-PRO machine that is still running fine despite the fact that I have NOT updated Windows in years.

See : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493633/how-to-make-a-computer-super-reliable/

#3 isoyoni

isoyoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Thanks.

Wanted to know if loading the XP Pro on the old Windows Home is possible with the software I'm going to buy. And if I would get all the Security stuff from MS.

Would the new software format old drive etc. I've loaded a operating sys twice in my life.

New software:$_57.JPG

rand New Sealed Microsoft Windows XP Professional

with Service Pack 3 (SP3)

●  Latest 32-bit Version Manufactured by Microsoft has Service Pack 3; 100% updateable version!

(Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all updates for the operating system released between 2002 and 2008.  Updates issued after SP3 (ca. 2008 - 2014.4) remain available from the Microsoft's website.)

●  Genuine Software - GUARANTEED!

●  Comes with Genuine Microsoft Manufactured Holographic Disc.

●  Comes with Certificate of Authenticity (COA) -- Genuine & Legal.

●  Comes with Brand-New/Never-Used Product Key for Installation on One Computer.

●  This is the FULL Version (not an Upgrade).

●  Designed to install the operating system onto a blank / freshly-formatted hard drive.

●  This WILL install on ALL types of desktop or laptop PC's (new or used; any brand or custom built systems).

●  Minimum Computer Hardware for Installation:

PC with 300 MHz Pentium-class processor

128 MB of RAM or higher recommended

1.5 GB of available hard disk space

Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution display

Mouse or other pointing device

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Robert

#4 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

It will work fine. Would recommend that if you have any files that you want to save, that you should copy them into another partition, or onto a CD rather than C:\ which will get wiped in the process of installing XP-PRO

#5 isoyoni

isoyoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Terrific 

I'll buy it and put the old Dell 2350 to good use.

Much obliged.

Robert

#6 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Would also suggest that you should install 4 Gig of RAM on your mobo if possible, and use at least a dual core processor if your mobo will support one. Further, for reliability, I strongly reccomend having at least 3 HDDs installed in your machine, one of which should be in a "Hot Swap Tray". The reason for this is to enable restoration of your Windows install, in the event that it gets screwed up.

My machine has Two Windows installs in it, one on "C:\" drive, and another on "D:\" drive. I did that by using Norton Ghost to clone my "C:\" drive onto "D:\" drive, then used the Windows registry editor to change all the "C:\" es on "D:\" drive to "D:\" es, and also change all "C?\" es to "D?\" es. -- That took a while cause there were about 17,000 to be changed.

My "C:|" drive is in a "Hot Swap Tray" and I have a spare "C:\" drive in another "Hot Swap Tray" sitting on a shelf so that in the event of severe problems I can replace my "C:\" drive with the spare.

I also have Norton Ghost Image files of my "C:\" drive, my "D:\" drive, my spare "C:\" drive, and my software partition, ("E:\" drive), on another HDD, so that in the event that anything gets screwed up, I can use Norton Ghost to wipe the damaged partition, then restore it from it's Norton Ghost Image File.

#7 isoyoni

isoyoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Please understand that I'm donating my old Dell since it has been reliable over the years and that someone would be able to use it. The XP Home on it has CPU usage issues Lsass, Chrome, AVG, all spiking for some reason for minutes at a time. Got rid of the Verizon software and AVG and replaced with Avast. I thought that that replacing the existing with a fresh operating system was the easiest way to go since I would be spending about $20 for the XP Pro. The new user would only be using it for internet surfing and writing since I do have a copy of MS Office.

The Dell is a Pentium 4, 1.8G, 1G ram already maxed out.

I have the original re-install CD, its got SP 1 on it. Didn't want to spend a lot of time getting it back to the original state and updating all the MS updates.

Should I re-install  the XP Home or go with the New Pro.

What do you suggest.

Robert

#8 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

I'd go with XP-PRO. More reliable if it comes with service pack 3.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

Why are you buying a Unsuported operating system?

#10 isoyoni

isoyoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Did not think I could run Windows 7 on the old Dell,

Would it run very well just looked at the specs Just made it. 

And cost of software. Don't believe that there is a lost of risk on a unsupported system if its not being used for banking etc. Still would have the antivirus to prevent most of the bugs.Am I being naive.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

While I admire your charitable sentiments, why not just give them your old computer and the refurbish install. Let them decide whether or not to continue with this not-working-very-well-elderly computer, or use the OS on a different one which may be in better condition.

Basically - give them the computer and let them do the work.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 isoyoni

isoyoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

Basically I'd like to do that. I'm waiting to find out if they have someone who could get it back to a useful state. Just thought I could sink about $20 for the Pro and several hours of my time and hand them something that works. Joseph's House is a nonprofit for terminal patients and I donated to them before. They are just lovely people. 

Robert Stanley

#13 isoyoni

isoyoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:04 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFURBISHED-DELL-OPTIPLEX-3-0-GHZ-TOWER-DESKTOP-COMPUTER-PC-2GB-RAM-80GB-WIN-7-/251576116874?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item3a931ae68a

Wanted to buy the above and trash the previous plan. Could you evaluate. Wanted wifi for this how hard is that to get going.

Bob

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Looks like a 2006 model which is fairly old. And keep in mind it doesn't come with a monitor. And keep cost of shipping in mind. they are located in Texas.

#15 isoyoni

isoyoni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Thanks. This had one year warranty. Legit software.  Shipping $10. Any better deals out there.

Bob 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users