Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Cannot Start after installing Avast Grimefighter

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kiwi2007

Kiwi2007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

I installed Avast Grimefighter on my Samsung laptop with Windows 7 and purchased the licence. Big mistake! I ran the software and it identified a few problems, which I asked it it optimise. After completing this, my computer restarted and now Windows cannot load at all.

When it is attempting to load windows, it fails and returns to give me two options of Windows Startup Repair or Starting Windows normally. The latter just gies the same result as above. If I select Windows Startup Repair, I get a message stating that Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

If I go to System Restore and select any of the backups, I cannot select the C Drive that is shown since it states 'You must enable System Protection on this drive.' So, I cannot use any of these backups using the System Restore tool.

Avast support suggested to use the last known Good Configuration, which I have also attempted. This produces the same result, i.e. fails and returns to give me the option of Windows Startup Repair or Starting Windows normally.

If I try to use Safe Mode to start, it gets ad far as loading aswRvrt.sys and then stops and returns to give me the option of Windows Startup Repair or starting Windows normally.

Any advice on how I can get my laptop working again would be much appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

I think that I would be talking to Avast Support...it seems to be the cause of the situation.

For the record...BC does not support the use of "registry cleaners/optimizers".

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

I just did about 15 minutes of reading on Google, it was more than enough to make me shy away from the product.  There are several angry folks out there!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users