Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install USB Power Driver Motorola Razor-Now BSOD & won't boot even to Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kstupay

kstupay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

I am new to this forum and decided to post my problem after reviewing a number of the forums and seeing very good advice and follow through by the members. I hope you will be able to assist me.

I am running a Dell Latitude 6400 laptop with XP Professional. Several weeks ago I started getting periodic BSOD which, after running ckdsk and series of drive diagnostics, narrowed down to a dying hard drive. I was able to clone the drive to a new one and replace. Everything was working fine and I was thrilled that the laptop was running better than ever. I only mention this as background as I don't believe the current problem is related, but you never know.

Current problem and reason for the post is that several days ago I installed a driver for my Motorola Razr phone from nodevice.com (based on Motorola Tech Support advice that this was where to download the driver) to enable USB charging of the phone from the laptop. Towards the end of the install I got a momentary odd flashing of the screen but the laptop went on to indicate the install was successful.  Not much later, upon reboot, I started getting BSOD or  GSOD (seems to alternate between the two) and have been unable to boot to Normal or any Safe Mode. I am able to boot to CD and run Repair and Restore functions but without success. When I reboot to either Normal or Safe Modes BSOD remains. It seems pretty clear that this is a driver conflict issue. Problem is, I don't know how to go about removing the conflicting drivers if I can't boot to either Normal or any Safe Mode. 

The screen error I get is a 0x0000007e and one time I got the following dump message below the STOP error line:

WDFLDR.sys   AddressB8683211   Base at B867A000   Datestamp 4a5bbf1d

Haven't been able to replicate this since as it now freezes before this below the line message appears.

Edited by kstupay, 13 July 2014 - 12:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hi,

Do you have the operating system installation disk? Can you use that to boot?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

You are almost certainly right when you suspect a driver conflict, it might also be a faulty or corrupted driver file - but the effects are the same !

You may find this MS article useful :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

To get round the problem that you are unable to boot into either safe or normal mode, and assuming you have access to another computer with an optical drive, I suggest you create a self-booting copy of Linux Puppy and use that to get your computer running. OK, it will be running Puppy Linux and the desktop will look quite a bit different from your normal one, but you will be able to access your hard drive through Puppy's file manager and you should be able to delete this file WDFLDR.sys as recommended in the MS article.

Using Puppy will not affect your hard drive since it is a very small package that runs in RAM, and you can get it, and instructions on how to use it here -

http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Put it this way - a self-booting copy of Puppy is one of the tools that lives on my desk.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users