Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unbootable After Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fairwind

fairwind

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:53 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533528/cant-boot-after-windows-update/ - Hamluis.

Greetings to all .... Re "I was just curious to see if anybody else had that problem"

I too have had this problem. About 3/4 days ago I installed something like 9 updates from MS, something I do as a normal function of keeping my PC "up to date". No apparent problem, the tower turned off after the updates had done there thing at the end of my day.

Next day is when the problem started. Try as I might, I could not get my PC to boot, it just "hung". The reset button produced the same result. I switched off manually at the back of the tower, restarted, slipped in my Win 7 installation CD, switched off manually at the back of the tower again and rebooted. This seemed to do the trick and I used the PC all day, shutdown as usual OK. Next day I am back to being "hung" !!

Three days later I still get the same apparent "hung" situation and in frustration I opened my laptop to search for solutions. About 10 minutes later my PC decides it's OK to open up now, by itself from the "hung" situation ???? As I type this on my laptop some 3 hours later, my PC is still running. I fully expect to get a "hung" situation tomorrow!

Why/what is happening? Dont ask me, I haven't a bent clue!! I have made Win 7 repair disc, but haven't learnt how to use it yet.

Edited by hamluis, 13 July 2014 - 09:20 AM.
PM sent new OP - Hamluis.

Down with all Hackers and similar types...

fairwind

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

Before you learn how to use the repair disk, slip in the installation disk, boot to it and select startup repair. See if that doesn't resolve the 'hang'

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 fairwind

fairwind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

OK, it seems I posted in the wrong place, tnx for the correction Hamluis.

This morning my PC gave me the usual "hung" situation. It gave me a beep/beep alert to press F1 to continue startup, this produced the strange looking BIOS type page without any mouse pointer option to do anything. The arrows keys did not do anything either. I inserted the Repair CD I made yesterday, click the reset button, and it started up OK ( apparently ?? ).

I have been using the PC as normal this am but I am not confident "the problem" has been sorted out yet. This problem started earlier last week after I installed the latest MS Win 7 updates. Tnx Billy Gates. My Google search's tell me that this problem often occurs after such updates ??

Re: "Before you learn how to use the repair disk, slip in the installation disk, boot to it and select startup repair. See if that doesn't resolve the 'hang'

Keep us posted"

I did try the installation disk yesterday, it still "hung".    Yes. I will keep you posted and thank you for your offer to help out.

Edited by fairwind, 13 July 2014 - 10:14 PM.

fairwind

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

Glad to hear that it's working

Fingers crossed that all is well

We'll be here when you need us. Til then,

Stay well and surf safe

Dick E

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Do a System Restore back to before the updates were installed. Then try the updates again.

#6 fairwind

fairwind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Hi there ElfBane,

Re: "Do a System Restore back to before the updates were installed."

That actually happened last week with one of my startup efforts, via the auto repair function. It tried to repair itself and failed and then offered me the restore option. I entered that in something like desperation at the time and I think it worked because I did notice some differences. As I explained above, the next day gave the same "hung" situation.

However, I am happy to report that this am, my PC did startup OK all beit some what slowly. I am in town today so later on tonight I will do a restart test without the repair disc ( which I forgot to take out last night !! )

Watch this space for the next exciting ( ? ) episode folks .....

fairwind

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Waiting :)

Dick E

#8 fairwind

fairwind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

OK, I didn't get around to it last night, too whacked out with driving for a couple of hours, but I did remove the repair disc for this mornings test.

I am very happy to report, my PC started up normally ( miracle of miracles !! ) AND it is responding at normal speed with web page uploads etc. I hope this lasts the distance. Tomorrow will be another test and if that is OK I think I can then claim victory. ( I am not too pessimistic am I ? )

So what was wrong ? I confess I have no real idea. I wonder if the updates of last week take some time to sort themselves out ?? Or maybe the repair disc rearranged things ?? Or maybe the install disc fixed something up ??

I think it's time for some regular maintenance maybe. Is there a "best" maintenance routine I can adopt ?

I do thank my lucky stars anyway ....

Edited by fairwind, 15 July 2014 - 08:50 PM.

fairwind

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Hi,

I recommend that after downloading and installing updates that the system be rebooted. It may not be a part of the process but I've found, over time, that the reboot helps get all of the ducks aligned.

'Best' is in the eye of the beholder.

The operating system and security software need to be kept up to date. The operating system, run update routine weekly, security software run it daily. Keep a free, on demand scanner on the desktop and current for getting second opinion scans whenever you feel the need. I get the feeling at least weekly.

Secunia's PSI is free and will monitor your programs to see that you are running the latest version, always a good practice.

Backups are another must. I like to use an external HDD to be sure I can access the data even if the whole system melts into a big black puddle of stuff.

Nominal housekeeping is also recommended. The optics on the mouse need cleaning, the inside of a PC and/or the vents on a laptop need to be cleaned from time to time. Frequency is a matter of location.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#10 fairwind

fairwind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

Thanks Dick,

I do have a copy of Secunia's PSI but I haven't been sure what to with it. For example I ran it a few minutes ago and was given a message to update MS Core Services. I clicked on the icon and was taken to an MS web page and found something called "msxml6_x64", one of four options to download. I ran it and seemed to do what it was supposed to ( ie, wasn't rejected ) and improved my Secunia System Score from 95% to 98%. However, I still have the message "update MS Core Services" ??  The one I chose had "x64" in the title and my win 7 op system is a 64 bit machine, that's the only clue could accept and it appeared to work OK. I am left wondering about the other 3 options??

Is there a Bleeping tutorial page for this tool? I have used these tutes in the past and find them very good.

fairwind

#11 fairwind

fairwind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

OK, I have now started my PC two days in a row with no startup problem. My confidence level has risen immensely.

I am currently organising a maintenance system for this new Win 7 beast. I did have a system for my old xP which bit the dust ( was it only last year? ). To this end I am reading lots of good stuff in the Virus Removal area.

Many thanks to all for assistance offered to me during this episode.

fairwind

#12 pikeman666

pikeman666

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

I have had this exact scenario a number of times when there is a large number of updates. It has stopped since I began installing them in stages with reboots in between. I do the OS updates first, applications, and then security last. It's a tiresome but less time-consuming than what you went through.

Pete

#13 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

OK, I have now started my PC two days in a row with no startup problem. My confidence level has risen immensely.

I am currently organising a maintenance system for this new Win 7 beast. I did have a system for my old xP which bit the dust ( was it only last year? ). To this end I am reading lots of good stuff in the Virus Removal area.

Many thanks to all for assistance offered to me during this episode.

glad to hear that the light at the end of the tunnel wasn't a freight train
we'll be here when you need us. til then
stay well and surf safe

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users