Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 recovery on new HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ryanfox

ryanfox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Hello all! Long time reader, first time poster.  I am having issues restoring my pre-installed Windows 8 after a hard drive swap in my laptop.  Here is what has happened:

A few months ago, my system starting badly hanging and freezing.  I performed a Reset.  It fixed the issues, but then I started getting Failing Hard Drive warnings.  The system was performing just fine, so I decided to put the Recovery partition on a USB drive and order a new HDD to keep on hand in case it actually did fail.

The system ran fine for a few months, then one day I had problems booting the system, performed a Refresh and it worked.  After that though, it was running slowly and I could hear clicking from the HDD.  So I decided it was time to replace the HDD.

I installed the new HDD and configured BIOS to boot from the USB drive with the recovery partition.  Instructions I found said to perform a Reset with the USB configured as the bootable device and this would load Windows onto the new HDD.  However I received the famous "Unable to reset, a required partition is missing" message.

Then I tried to restore from a system image, but it couldn't find any images, even though the USB drive was plugged in.

I made sure that OS configuration in BIOS was set to UEFI only.

So here is what I did in order to try to get back a sustainable system:

I put the old HDD back in, held F2 as I booted up and set the USB drive as the default boot device and restarted.  As expected, upon restart I was taken straight to the blue troubleshoot screen (since I was booting from the USB and not the HDD).  I did a system Reset in accordance with the procedures I had found, and the reset went smoothly.  I have a sustainable system for now, but since I've had to refresh/reset the PC twice now, I really want to get the new HDD installed because I think it's only a matter of time before I have to do it again.

Here are the system specs:

Laptop:  Samsung NP350V5C-T02US, 500 GB HDD

New HDD: Western Digital WD5000LPVX, 500 GB

Since the hard drives are the same size, and I presumably reset from the recovery partition on the USB, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work with the new HDD.  Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!  Just let me know if you need any more system specs or further clarification.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

I'd get an enclosure for the new drive, plug it into a USB port and clone the old drive onto the new one.  These enclosures aren't very expensive, around $25.   Easeus has a number of programs that will do this, many free for home use.  I've been using Easeus Todo Backup Free.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 13 July 2014 - 09:11 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 ryanfox

ryanfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Thanks a lot wpgwpg!  I just ordered a docking station - you were right on, $25!  I'll do the clone once it gets here and we'll see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users