So I’ve been basking in the love of my new Linux Mint 17 install with the LXDE.
Much to love about this OS and the set up.
Resources aren't really an issue for me as my processor is okay and I'm running 8 gigs of RAM and I am not a speed demon. Boot up times are never really an issue for me. Most mornings, I boot up, log on and then go get some coffee.
I have walked through and performed all the steps (that applied) from this link that Nick was kind enough to supply. I even went ahead and tweaked some stuff from the Part 2 - Recommended Actions, so everything is humming along pretty nicely. Not really sure when I'll be back on my Windows side.
I do have a few other items that need attention, so that is the focus of this post.
Issue 1 - Firefox and the rendering of web pages. Do not like what I’m seeing with regards to Fonts and not sure how to remedy this. I tried tweaking my Fonts before I installed the extra fonts from the ttf-mscorefonts-installer. If I uninstall and reinstall Firefox, will this resolve my issue?
I guess what I'm looking to do is to reset my Firefox to the defaults and see if the Fonts on all my web pages look "normal" (I know, I know, normal isn't really a good word to use in a Linux environment) or the way they do on my Windows side.
Any feedback or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Issue 2 - Numbers Lock. Each time I log on and into my LXDE the Numbers Lock is turned OFF. Not a huge issue by any means but I'm guessing there is a tweak for this. Anyone know of it?
Issue 3 - Spell Check Dictionary - again, each time I log in and on and check the spelling of something (right-click) I see four flavors of English and it always reverts to English (United Kingdom) and I would like to figure out how to make English (United States) the default. I worked my way through the Preferences from the Firefox Menu but can't seem to find an obvious answer.
Issue 4 - Updating Adobe Flash Player. Going through the aforementioned link from Nick and also checking the Solutions for 15 Bugs section, I came across the Adobe Flash Player section and decided to test my player, which is working fine but did show that I am running Version 18.104.22.1688 and the window below that shows that the latest version is 22.214.171.1244 (for Linux, mind you) and I know that installing apps straight from the web isn't really the best way to install in a Linux environment, so I'm looking for some Best Practices when it comes to something like this.
So there you go.
Please note nothing on this list is super important nor does it need an immediate response. I'm still loving all this LXDE stuff...I just want to love it a wee bit more.
With much Open-Source admiration,