Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More tweaking help needed for LXDE / Mint 17

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hello.

So I’ve been basking in the love of my new Linux Mint 17 install with the LXDE.

Much to love about this OS and the set up.

Resources aren't really an issue for me as my processor is okay and I'm running 8 gigs of RAM and I am not a speed demon. Boot up times are never really an issue for me. Most mornings, I boot up, log on and then go get some coffee.

I have walked through and performed all the steps (that applied) from this link that Nick was kind enough to supply. I even went ahead and tweaked some stuff from the Part 2 - Recommended Actions, so everything is humming along pretty nicely. Not really sure when I'll be back on my Windows side.  :dance:

I do have a few other items that need attention, so that is the focus of this post.

Issue 1 - Firefox and the rendering of web pages. Do not like what I’m seeing with regards to Fonts and not sure how to remedy this. I tried tweaking my Fonts before I installed the extra fonts from the ttf-mscorefonts-installer. If I uninstall and reinstall Firefox, will this resolve my issue?

I guess what I'm looking to do is to reset my Firefox to the defaults and see if the Fonts on all my web pages look "normal"  (I know, I know, normal isn't really a good word to use in a Linux environment)  or the way they do on my Windows side.

Any feedback or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Issue 2 - Numbers Lock. Each time I log on and into my LXDE the Numbers Lock is turned OFF. Not a huge issue by any means but I'm guessing there is a tweak for this. Anyone know of it?

Issue 3 - Spell Check Dictionary - again, each time I log in and on and check the spelling of something (right-click) I see four flavors of English and it always reverts to English (United Kingdom) and I would like to figure out how to make English (United States) the default. I worked my way through the Preferences from the Firefox Menu but can't seem to find an obvious answer.

Issue 4 - Updating Adobe Flash Player. Going through the aforementioned link from Nick and also checking the Solutions for 15 Bugs section, I came across the Adobe Flash Player section and decided to test my player, which is working fine but did show that I am running Version 11.2.202.378 and the window below that shows that the latest version is 11.2.202.394 (for Linux, mind you) and I know that installing apps straight from the web isn't really the best way to install in a Linux environment, so I'm looking for some Best Practices when it comes to something like this.

So there you go.

Please note nothing on this list is super important nor does it need an immediate response. I'm still loving all this LXDE stuff...I just want to love it a wee bit more.

With much Open-Source admiration,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

I guess what I'm looking to do is to reset my Firefox to the defaults

you should be able to delete you firefox settings by deleteing the ~/.mozilla/firefox folder. This will force Firefox to create a new 1.

I installed the extra fonts from the ttf-mscorefonts-installer.

You may need to Uninstall them, As I have never uninstalled fonts I do not know how, Without maybe messing something up.

Kaosu Will be able to help you there.

Issue 2 - Numbers Lock. Each time I log on and into my LXDE the Numbers Lock is turned OFF

TITLE: Automatically Enabling NumLock When Booting And ...

I would like to figure out how to make English (United States)

Set DEFAULT spellcheck language - Mozilla Support

Issue 4 - Updating Adobe Flash Player.

Open terminal and type.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

An update should fix that.

Or you can do it the hard way.

install_flash_player_xx_linux_xxx.tar.gz

tar -xzvf  install_flash_player_xx_linux_xxx.tar.gz

mkdir  ~/.mozila/plugins
or 
sudo ~/.mozila/plugins
or 
search the path of mozila as it is hidden folder as .mozila

mv libflashplayer.so ~/.mozila/plugins

OR
mv libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/

restart firefox and check addons

I'm running 8 gigs of RAM

Preload is an ‘Adaptive Read-ahead Damon’, which is the equivalent to Windows Vista’s Superfetch. Effectively what it does is speeds up application load time by monitoring the software that is loaded and used day to day, the software used most often, and cache them in memory. If you have a lot of memory, you will notice things will improve – for example, my work machine has 20gb of RAM, 7gb of it is used by caches and everything runs nice and smooth. If your computer needs the memory, space is made, so you will not lose out if you have the average 4-8gb. The difference is certainly measurable – from 20% to 60% improvement in startup times.

sudo apt-get install preload

With 8 GB of ram I think you can edit your swapiness file too.

The Linux kernel provides a tweakable setting that controls how often the swap file is used, called swappiness
A swappiness setting of zero means that the disk will be avoided unless absolutely necessary (you run out of memory), while a swappiness setting of 100 means that programs will be swapped to disk almost instantly.
Ubuntu system comes with a default of 60, meaning that the swap file will be used fairly often if the memory usage is around half of my RAM. You can check your own system's swappiness value by running:
nick@starfleet:~$ cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

As I have 8 GB of RAM, so I'd like to turn that down to 10 or 15. The swap file will then only be used when my RAM usage is around 80 or 90 percent. To change the system swappiness value, open /etc/sysctl.conf as root. Type this into terminal  gksu gedit /etc/sysctl.conf Then, change or add this line to the file:
vm.swappiness = 10

Reboot for the change to take effect

You can also change the value while your system is still running
sysctl vm.swappiness=10

you can also clear your swap by running swapoff -a and then swapon -a as root instead of rebooting to achieve the same

Or you can bash it.

sudo bash -c "echo 'vm.swappiness = 15' >> /etc/sysctl.conf" 

Edited by NickAu1, 13 July 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

And then *pow* much Happiness arrived!  :bounce:

So resetting my Firefox worked like a charm - now my web pages are looking great. My fonts that were missing before are there and were able to be selected, so everything not only looks good but is, for these old eyes, easier to read.

As for the spell check, it's still kind of wonky, but I think it's an on-going issue here at Bleeping (seems to recall it was discussed when the latest version of this software rolled out) but it's an easy work around and among my Dictionaries there is the English (United States) so I'm set.

I had already tweaked my swapiness, so that's been resolved.  I'm at 10, which seems good, esp. for the amount of RAM I've got.

I tried your "easy way' for the Adobe Flash Player and pasted in that line and a whole bunch of stuff updated...I think, I'm still lost when the Terminal starts running all sorts of lines...but when I checked the Flash Player again, I am still running the older version. The "hard way" looks somewhat intimidating, so I'm going to hold off on that way for now.

Can I just uninstall the Adobe Flash Player via the Software Manager and then download it from the Adobe site?

Reading the reviews from the Software Manager, it seems others have made mention that the default one there is, in fact, the older version. Not a huge issue for me, but I also don't want to not patch up one of the riskier apps on my Linux side.

So there you Nick, I'm this/close to getting my Mint tweaked the way I want, just a few more apps to install - Audacity, Kolour Paint, VirtualBox and some type of CD-ripper - but that's all the not-needed-but-fun stuff and then I'm on my way.

Always appreciate you taking the time.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users