Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly infected with a backdoor trojan?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rouschel

rouschel

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

Alright, here's the scoop.  I think my computer is infected with some kind of backdoor trojan or worm. 

The symptoms:  Computer will freeze for a few seconds every few minutes, making typing and moving the mouse around very annoying.  The mouse will "jump" on the screen, making it difficult to click on much of anything.  It doesn't seem to do this all of the time, but when it does act up, it is very frustrating.  Windows Explorer or Chrome will pop up out of nowhere, even though I am using Firefox.  I have Explorer and Chrome installed as well, but a new window will pop up even though I did not open one. My CPU seems to be cranking up a lot lately and isn't able to handle video processing like it used to, but the computer is a couple of years old and may just need updating.

Computer Info: This computer is a Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit.  I'm not sure if you need to know my processor and all that, but I can tell you if you do.

Possibilities: My husband likes to install a lot of MMORPG's and try them out. I'm concerned that he may have downloaded malicious files in the process.  We have noticed that these things started getting worse when we installed Spotify to play music.  We have since uninstalled it, but the problems still persist.

I have run several anti-virus and anti-malware scans (Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes) but they didn't show any abnormalities.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and just let me know what else you need. :)

Edited by rouschel, 13 July 2014 - 07:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

The problem of things jumping around sounds like a touchpad problem.  Is this computer a laptop?  If so, I'd get a mouse, plug it into a USB port and disable that touchpad.  My opinion of touchpads is that they're masochistic devices designed by evil demons.   :bounce:  If you suspect malware, download Malwarebytes from here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ , get it up to date, and do a scan.  When it finishes, click Quarantine All and follow the onscreen directions.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 rouschel

rouschel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thanks wpgwpg, but I am using a desktop computer - something I probably should have specified.  I did run MalwareBytes, as I mentioned in my post, but it came back with nothing. I am just concerned about the Explorer window popping up without a prompt.  I'm thinking, from doing some research, that it is the svchost trojan.  Thankfully, MyBleepingComputer has some instructions I can follow.  Thanks again :)

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Here're three programs you can download from BC and try.  Go to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ and download AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, and TDSSKiller and give them a shot.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,914 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Before you go on why do you think it is a back door?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users