Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro and xp home to linksys wrt54gs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DnycE40

DnycE40

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:25 AM

:hysterical: I have a Sony VAIO VGN-SZ330P 2 GHz Intel Dual Core Processor, Intel MOBO, SigmaTel sound card, Mobile Intel video card, 2 GB of RAM with XP Pro SP3 laptop and a Dell Dimension 4400 with Windows XP Home SP3 connected to a Linksys WRT54GS version 6 router that i converted into an access point which is itself (the router is connected to another router) in the 3rd ethernet port of a DLink DIR 601 router, then connected to the internet. I want to turn my Dell into a Home FTP server with Filezilla but as Im doing the research there are warnings about having my router interferring with the server but since my router was connected to the other router I havent been able to access the configuration page, which Im hoping that now that it is an access point, Im not suppossed to. My question is what am I suppossed to do about configuring the server, somehow access the Linksys router or configure it thru the Dlink router?[/size] :hysterical:

thanks

DnycE40 :idea:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:02 AM

What are the IP addresses of the routers?  Is DHCP turned off on the AP router?

#3 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

It sounds like you have turned off DHCP on the Linksys Wireless router and that everything is on the same subnet. That being said all you should have to do is port forward port 21 in the Dlink to the IP of the FTP server and allow port 21 through the firewall on the Dell. If you have any interenet security software on the Dell (Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee...) you will also have to allow port 21 through those as well. You might also want to subscribe to a service like dyndns.org (or no-ip if you want something free) to allow you to have something more memorable like thisismyftp.dyndns.org rather than the changing public IP of your DSL/Cable modem.

The best thing to do is to simplify the problem. I would see if you can ftp to the dell from the sony VIO. If you can there then work your way back through the Dlink, then add in the dynamic dns aspect of things. Below are some resources that can help.

Use ipchicken.com to view your public IP.

This should help with the basic setting up of the FTP. http://www.instructables.com/id/Setting-up-an-FTP-server-using-filezilla/

This will help with the firewall configuration on XP. http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/open-ftp-port-21-on-windows-xp-operating-system/

This is the one I use as I do a lot of this type of thing. http://dyn.com/dns/

Here is a free alternative to dyn but it makes you verify the account is active every month. http://www.noip.com/

Good Luck

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:28 AM

You should do FTPS in Filezilla and setup Double NAT.

INTERNET CLOUD---------WAN FIREWALL--------PUBLIC LAN----------WAN FIREWALL-------PRIVATE LAN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users