Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange sudden loss of sound

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spritesuzi

spritesuzi

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

Hi,

I've got a really weird one here. Yesterday, my sound went away. I've got no sound at all, speakers or ear buds. I do not have the sound muted; in fact, the mute function does not seem to be working. I can not access the "international No/red slash" symbol that typically shows sound is muted - I've tried all the usual methods (the keyboard button, in the system tray or after opening the speaker volume or mixer.)  Using those methods, I can make it show that I am changing volume, but no sound plays. I'm not talking no sound from YouTube, or any other online source - I've got no Windows sounds, no beeps, burps, cheeps, nothing.

My machine is not connected to any other devices. The system tray says I've got sound. From Device Manager, Sound, video, and game controllers, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Properties says "this device is working properly." Audio inputs and outputs, Speakers/HP (IDT High Def Audio CODEC) also shows "this device is working properly."

If I go into Sound from Control Panel, the only thing showing (and defaulted) is that same IDT HDA CODEC. If I select that, and go into Configure/Speaker Setup, then Test, I get a message: Device in Use   "The device is being used by another application. Please close any devices that are playing audio to this device and then try again." I get this message even if I have just restarted and gone straight to Control Panel. I've gone to Task Manager and shut down any IDT instances shown as running, with no change.

I have not installed any new software in several weeks, and I don't think I've uninstalled anything recently, either....  Hoping someone has some ideas, because I'm all out... :(  Thanks in advance!

My machine:

• Operating System
    Windows 8
  • Antivirus Software
    Norton Internet Security
  • Firewall
    Norton Internet Security
  • Computer
    HP Pavillion Sleekbook 15-b136TX
  • CPU
    Intel i5-3337U 1.80GHz
  • Ram
    DDR3 SDRAM 8GB
  • Storage
    Seagate Momentus 160GB 5400RPM SATA
  • Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M 2GB

Edited by spritesuzi, 13 July 2014 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

Hi, please go to Windows Services and see both these startup items are running by default : Audio Service and Windows Audio or see here for a more complete information. The startup type for both services should be Automatic. To change the default is by double clicking and then look for startup type - click to drop down menu for choices then hit Appy, Ok.

Just to make sure also, go back to device manager and expand System devices and look for High Definition Audio Controller or any Sound Controller and make sure there is no flag/arrows just below the computer icon. If there is a flag present on any audio related component, right-click then choose enable.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users