Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Speed?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 monika

monika

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:31 PM

hello there,

I am aware that lately my download speed has decreased about 1/2 of what it used to be...I have a 2MB/s connection from Tiscali and do not really know what should be the accurate download speed for downloading files. It used to come somewhere between 25-35kb/s, but lately all I get is 12 - 19kb/s. I have tried all these TCP Optimizers and so, but I do not really understand them so much, so do not know if I did not set anything wrongly. Is there anyone out there who could help me with this....????

Thanks, any help apreciated...

Monika :thumbsup:

Edited by monika, 30 May 2006 - 02:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

What type of connection do you have? Cable,DSL,Satellite,WiFi----?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:41 PM

I have got a DLS connection and am connected through USB ADSL WAN Adapter...my connection speed should be 2mb/s...but anytime I check it on my computer it says it is 2.3mb/s...and it has been like this ever since I had internet connection even when it used to be 256kb/s...some people say they get 200kb/s download when their connection speed is 2mb/s...how is possible??? i olny can dream about this... :thumbsup:

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,412 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:02 PM

Distance from the phone company's office to your house determines the possible download speed. It can also be affected by adding phones in your home or phone equipment in your home becoming damaged, loose wiring etc.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:08 AM

You could have damaged wiring from the modem to the service box or the service box to the street. Have you contacted your ISP to test yor wiring?
The numbers you use are confusing? In the first post you stated you have a 2 Mbps connect but only get 12 to 45 Kbps. In your second post you speed is 2.3Mbps. That is a HUGH difference.
The difference in download speeds can also be affected by the allowed bandwidth for the site you connect to. Download.com restricts from 150 to 250Kbps download speed, where Microsoft will allow speeds up to 600Kbps depending on the load on there server.
I have a 6Mbps download connection on my cable modem but very seldom see more than 350Kbps do to the limitations of the servers I connect to.
Try the following links. The second list will allow you to configure the utility in the first link.

http://www.cablenut.com/

http://www.j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hello,

well, the mix up with my connection speed is that from what I know what my connecti0n speed should be, or at leas what I am subscibed to recieve is 2Mb/s...but anytime I check on my computer it has been saying that my connection speed is 2.3Mb/s...and this has even been happening when I used to have my connection 256Mb/s...I do not know how it is possible, but it is just like that...but I chould have just 2Mb/s...

I try those 2 links and will get back to you...

Thanks a lot...

Monika

#7 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:01 PM

Hello,

so I have tried to configure the cablenut thingie...but I am afraid I did not managed to get it right as since then my connection and download seems to be even slower than before....could somebody work it out for me and just post me the right values to enter in...I am really sorry, usually I am not so bad...but this is just making my head spin...thanks a lot...
Monika

Edited by monika, 10 June 2006 - 03:07 AM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

Hi monika. Sorry I have not gotten back sooner. What setting did you need.

#9 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:08 AM

Hello,

thanks for getting back to me...

well, I was advised that I could increase my download speed by using and configuring Cablenut on my computer. So I did...but because I do not understand it, I guess I might have put in wrong values and then retyped them in as since them my connection speed and download speed is eve slower...So I thought if somebody could work pout he right values for me and post them....I knoe it is a lot to ask, but I am really hopeless with this...

Thanks very much again...

Monika xxx

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

What are you HSI speeds suppose to be? 256\256Kbps? 1.5Mbps\256Kbps? Whatever you ISP promised you.
First, have you backup your registry and created a new restore point in case it all goes wrong. You can go back to this point.
At the bottom of the program there is a button to "Delete Cablenut Tweaks". Have you used it? If not AFTER you do a Registry back up and Restore Point, use the button.

ERUNT Registry Backup Utility

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:56 AM

An important thing to keep in mind when talking about download speeds is the size of the 'b' in bps or Bps.

Every ISP advertises their speed in Kbps or Mbps ie Kilobits per second or Megabits per second. When you are downloading, the usual gauge is KBps, ie KiloBytes per second.

As there are 8 bits in a Byte, the best possible speed you are going to get will show up as 8 times less than the advertised rate, and then only if everything is absolutely perfect.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 16 June 2006 - 08:57 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#12 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

Hello,

I have tried all these TCP Optimizers and so, but I do not really understand them so much, so do not know if I did not set anything wrongly.

First, this may be part of the problem. If you have tried more than one TCP tweaking utility, and did not uninstall one before trying another, then this could be a viable reason for your continued decrease in performance.

If two of the similar TCP programs are both installed, and you have made settings to both, they will "Step on eachothers toes" for lack of a better term. It is important that you only use one, and uninstall all other similar programs. The TCP programs mentioned already do practically the same thing, so it is important to choose one, and stick with it. I repeat, get rid of other TCP optimizers besides the one you choose to use.

Here are the instructions you need to follow in order to get help from the forum that specifically deals with Cablenut. I have used this forum in the past, and it was helpful.

http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.php

Here are the instructions, which are located on the Tips and Tricks page at the above forum.

1. Download CableNut.

2. What type of connection do you have? i.e. 56K, ISDN, DSL (PPPoE or not), Cable etc.

3. Who is your ISP and what is your advertised speed from them? i.e. Cox.net & 4000/512 - this is advertised in kilobits per second. If you don't know your advertised speeds please provide us with a link to your ISPs homepage.

4. What are your current settings now? Do a TCP/IP Analyzer test and copy and paste the results (remember to XXXXX out your IP address) here.

5. What kind of speeds are you getting now? Do 10 speed tests from Speakeasy (choose the location nearest to you) clearing your internet temp files prior to each test, and give us the average of your top 5 tests. This will give you a good baseline to go by but remember speed tests are not 100% accurate.

6. Please tell us your operating system i.e. 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2K or XP.

I suggest you register if you havn't already, follow the above steps, and see what they suggest. Please do post back here though if you decide to ask them for advice, that way we all know if it worked or not.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#13 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:29 PM

What are you HSI speeds suppose to be? 256\256Kbps? 1.5Mbps\256Kbps? Whatever you ISP promised you.
First, have you backup your registry and created a new restore point in case it all goes wrong. You can go back to this point.
At the bottom of the program there is a button to "Delete Cablenut Tweaks". Have you used it? If not AFTER you do a Registry back up and Restore Point, use the button.

ERUNT Registry Backup Utility

Okay...I have done all that...
My HSI speed is 2.0 Mbps...
Now I am really stuck again...what is the next step???
Thanks....xx

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:55 PM

Good to the following link to determine your settings.

http://www.j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php

#15 monika

monika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2006 - 03:45 PM

hello,

yeah, see that is where I'm starting to struggle...and ma not sure whether I am typong in the right values...so please can you check if I put these in right??? :

Download speed: 2000kbps
Upload speed: 2000kbps
Latency: 100.132 ms
is this right???

I checked my ltency through some online checker...cannot remember what it was called and I entered the highest latency value in...

if any of this seems fishy, please let me know...I really am hopeless aren't I :thumbsup:))

Thanx...xxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users