Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Electric Remote Control Locking Car Keys

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

My  electric car key suddenly stopped working - no remote central locking any more - I had to use manual locking. These keys go kaput if you if you fiddle with the off/on buttons, have too many operations out-of-distance or the kids fiddle with them and exceed the programming tolerance.

To get them going again is a simple matter of synchronizing.

A local dealer waffled about how difficult a problem this is, with re-programming, new chips, synchronizing etc. - oh, big problem and said it would cost GBP 165. WOW ! What a money making con-trick conveniently forced onto the vulnerable and non-technically minded majority, especially women and the elderly. It is a 99% probability that if the battery is OK, all it takes is less than two minutes sat in the car. No world shattering high-tech electronic tom-foolery, just a few simple twists, turns and button pressings.

I have spent my whole life on mechanical and electronic matters and am technically minded. Not easy to con and not easy in giving up on a problem.

After a  quick surf of the web to see what it is all about, the remedy was easy. There were several quite easy methods of getting these keys to work again when they have failed, no vast amount of expense, just a few seconds or minutes sat in the car. I went for this :-

Sat in the car with the door shut, inserted the key in the ignition, turned it on and of within 2 seconds.each time. Opened the door twice with the ignition turned on, then turned it off. Turned on the ignition again and pressed the lock and unlock buttons on the key together - both at the same time. The lock worked immediately. It all took about 1 minute.

Problem solved, key now works fine.

One reference was this :-

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t3072946-fix_remote_car_key

Answer ONE

The other link which gave me the main clue was this :-

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1123660-get_key_fob_work

Answer ONE - with some input from the first link.

Edited by Beaker77, 13 July 2014 - 05:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users