Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

removing personal or private data from file's properties

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:40 AM

The Bleeping Computer forum showed a tutorial on this but it seemed not to work when I tried it.  Rightclick on a file, select Properties, click the Details tab, click on Remove Properties And Personal Information, choose what one wants to remove.... but then those properties are still shown listed unchanged when one tries to check.  The method does not work.  The Owner and the Computer data are still present as before.

Windows Vista, fully updated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

What file are you referencing?

What is it on the system...that reflects what you consider "personal/private data"?

Louis

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

The "Owner" item and the "Computer" item are the items, at least those, which I wanted to remove from the Properties of the files.  The files were jpg or png files which I created using a drawing program and a graphical tablet.  The computer on which this was done  (making the files and later trying to remove the properties) is notebook/laptop type  (NOT netbook type). 

#4 Veitch

Veitch

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

Have you tried an EXIF removal tool?

This site says that Windows might have problems with GPS metadata: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to-remove-exif-metadata-from-photos-and-why-you-might-want-to/

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

This site says that Windows might have problems with GPS metadata: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to-remove-exif-metadata-from-photos-and-why-you-might-want-to/

That was an interesting article.  Maybe that stuff and the program are good to know; but I don't care about EXIF and meta data.  I might care later, but not right now.  I want to be able to remove the name of the computer in the Properties Details and I want to remove the name of the Owner in Properties Details.  Those are the only personal or private information I can find in those image files.  Maybe other private-personal information too.  Going through the right-click properties menu as I described did not do the job.

#6 Veitch

Veitch

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

That was an interesting article.  Maybe that stuff and the program are good to know; but I don't care about EXIF and meta data.  I might care later, but not right now.  I want to be able to remove the name of the computer in the Properties Details and I want to remove the name of the Owner in Properties Details.  Those are the only personal or private information I can find in those image files.  Maybe other private-personal information too.  Going through the right-click properties menu as I described did not do the job.

Do you mean the owner and computer name you see in the security tab?

You can not delete these. The owner of a file is the user who has full control over that file in terms of being able to grant access to the resource.

You can only transfer ownership, but I doubt that this is what you want.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

You can not delete these. The owner of a file is the user who has full control over that file in terms of being able to grant access to the resource.

The DETAILS tab; not the Security tab.

#8 Veitch

Veitch

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

The DETAILS tab; not the Security tab.

That shows the same info in case of owner and computer. You can not delete the essential properties.

Edited by Veitch, 14 July 2014 - 06:15 AM.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

That shows the same info in case of owner and computer. You can not delete the essential properties.

Thanks.  I hoped that I could.  That stuff seems like information that I might want to avoid sharing when I upload files to places.  Some cases would happen that I do not want files I created to have that kind of identifying information.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

What places are you uploading them to? Have you checked those uploads to see if the information is there?

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Thanks.  I hoped that I could.  That stuff seems like information that I might want to avoid sharing when I upload files to places.  Some cases would happen that I do not want files I created to have that kind of identifying information.

Upload, or sharing, floppy disc, usb flashdrive, or any manner in which someone would have those files on their computer -- No matter.  The file would have all the same Properties information.  I would never imagine that a site to which any of my files were uploaded would make changes to the file's properties.  Do such websites actually make such changes to uploaded files?  and if they can, then why can't I do the same, myself?

Edited by cafejose, 14 July 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

I don't know about all sites but I do know that when an image is uploaded to Photobucket that information is stripped out.

So yes, sites can actually make such changes. There is nothing on any of my uploaded to Photobucket images to indicate they came from C:\Users\My User Name\My Pictures.

If you move or copy files or folders to an external hard drive or flashdrive, the original details properties will change.
They will show Drive letter of your flash drive or external drive.

Example: my external drive shows up as Drive G. I move or copy to that drive details show G:\ as drive path. If I create a folder on G and put the image there the path is G:\Folder Name.

If the folder name is YOUR name, then yes it will show that in the path.

Again, there is nothing on my external drive that indicates where it was ORIGINALLY at.

#13 Veitch

Veitch

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

Deleting them is not necessary, because they are not saved in the file.
The properties do not only show what is saved as metadata, but also what the operating system knows about that file, which is, e.g., the file path, the owner, the file permissions and the computer. These make it possible for the operating system to manage the permissions.
That's why you can not delete them, but these specific properties also will not show up if you upload your file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users