Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden files in windows 7

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 triet96

triet96

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:38 AM

Hi Bleepingcomputer!

I've just had my lap repaired thanks to one of your member - xXToffeeXx and it works very well now!

Unfortunately, I ran into another issue on another pc.

Days ago, I put my pc on a full-scale Eset and Malwarebytes scan. I noticed that during the scan, Eset did pop up tons of times reporting about threats and so did Malwarebytes. In the end, I decided to delete all the quarantine files. I restarted the pc to find that about 70 Gb or so worth of data stored on my 2 data drives have disappeared. However, when I left click to check "Properties", the used-up space did not change so I guess those files must have been hidden. I ran malwarebytes and Eset on those 2 drives again for several times but to no avail (no virus found)

Having thought that it was due to the system corruption, I installed win 7 home premium onto drive C, fresh and clean, installed malwarebytes and eset, proceeded to have them checked through everything. Again, no virus found. My files still remain hidden.

So the current situation is:

- I am running win 7 home premium.

- I have Malwarebytes and Eset nod antivirus 4 installed (and some other programs)

- I have about >70 Gb of data hidden on my 2 drives (I only have on physical drive, so they are 2 partitions, in case this is important information)

- Left clicking on the properties does show that the files take up space but don't show up when browsing through with Windows Explorer.

- I also check "show hidden files and folder" but it was of no use

Please help me, thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:02 AM

triet96, Welcome to BC Forums!  :)

Before I say anything regarding your situation, one thing to remember. Never delete anything from Quarantine unless you're 100% positive that all is A-OK. That's what Quarantine is for, to store files until it's determined to be safe or a threat, in that folder, no harm is caused. 

Furthermore, you should post in the "Am I Infected" section of the Forum if you're unsure as to what to do, to prevent this from happening, 

Now, lets see about recovering your files. 

Open MBAM & select Quarantine. Is anything there? Do the same with ESET. 

If the files are still in Quarantine, they may can be found & recovered. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 13 July 2014 - 02:02 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 triet96

triet96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

Hi cat1092,

Thanks for your fast reply!

As I said, sadly, I have my pc re-installed so everything is wiped out and there is nothing left of the quarantined files. I have used error-checking service but nothing changed. 

Is this something caused by virus or the system itself?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Try using the following tool to look at the detail of items stored on a given partition/drive.

WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html

Louis

#5 triet96

triet96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hi hamluis,

Thanks for your suggestion.

However, the situation has changed:

- Unchecking "Hide protected operating system files (Recomended)" show all of them! (they're just data, my personal writings, photos, nothing system related. However, there are some "thumbs" files among them

- I can now open/copy them as usual. 

The thing is: The attribute hidden remain (and cannot be unchecked). In addition, all of those folders/files are set to "Read-only". If I check the box to hide system files, all those data disappears as well!

My guess is that those datas, for some reasons, are mistaken for system files by win 7 and I don't know how to make my pc understand that they are not. 

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Try right-clicking one of the files and clicking Properties.  See if you can uncheck the attributes there.  If not, you can go to the Command Prompt and use the attrib command.  If you do that, you can type attrib /? to get the syntax for using it.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 triet96

triet96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hi wpgwpg,

Thanks for your help.

I cannot uncheck hidden attribute in properties. I tried using the command you suggested but it didn't work.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

Try running the Microsoft Fixit http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_file_and_folder_diag/en

See also http://www.troubleshootwindows.com/windows-xp/hidden-option-within-file-properties-is-greyed-out/

Edited by jhayz, 14 July 2014 - 06:48 AM.

Tekken

#9 triet96

triet96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 04:49 AM

Try right-clicking one of the files and clicking Properties.  See if you can uncheck the attributes there.  If not, you can go to the Command Prompt and use the attrib command.  If you do that, you can type attrib /? to get the syntax for using it.

Good luck.

Hi jhayz,

I followed the second link and I DID IT! Using attrib worked (my first attempt using this fix failed...maybe I did it wrong that time)

So thank you all. My problem is solved!

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Glad to hear it worked. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users