Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have V9? Browser problem (slow, etc)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mlietz

mlietz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

WIN 7 PRO
Intel Pentium 4
1.5 ram 

I'm using Chrome, as well as IE 11 and things have gotten extremely slow. When I boot up the machine, and enter IE, it gives me a long address from overseas which contains "v9" and redirects me. I then get tons of pop ups and can't do anything. Since I'm a old guy I'm not sure how to get rid of this, and maybe there are other problems. I have tried to scan with Malwarebyes in Safe Mode and nothing helps. Also, Superantispyware crashes when I try to run it (both in safe mode and not). 

Thanks guys, 

Mike

p.s. - This address comes up in IE: 

http://www.v9.com/?type=sc&ts=1399947154&from=tugs&uid=MaxtorX6L100P0_L268QZCG&i=psd&t=3426efbb6

Edited by mlietz, 13 July 2014 - 02:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:07 AM

The more memory you have the better.  The "minimum RAM" for Windows 7 is 1GB.  So since you have only 1.5GB if RAM, your performance will be to the low end.  Then, depending on what you have running, that will also an affect.  Presuming that the 1GB is truly the "minimum RAM", then think about this:

1.  Your RAM: 1,500,000,000
2.  Windows use:  1,000,000,000
3.  Left Over for all other use: 500,000

4.  Let's use a few of my programs as example:
4.1.  Firewall: 15MB (leaves 485MB)
4.2.  MalwareBytes: 72MB (leaves 413MB)
4.3.  Firefox (4 sites): 333MB (leaves 80MB)
4.3.1.  Firefox (1 site): 250MB (leaves 163MB)

So the more you're running the less available RAM you have, thus the slower things are.  Keep in mind also, if the program is using say 100MB of RAM, whatever it does (e.g. a spreadsheet), will also chop off more memory... which will be depleted fast.  This includes viruses and malware use.

Age has nothing to do with your ability to fix this problem.  The key is not to give up, and have the attitude of "I won't let this computer beat me"!  As I've said before, there are certain countries I won't do to, because they're known to distribute viruses, spyware and adware.  V9.COM is a Chinese company:

Domain Name: V9.COM
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Registrant Name: xiaoyang zhang
Registrant Organization: Beijing ELEX Technology Co., Ltd.
Name Server: ASIA1.AKAM.NET
Name Server: EUR2.AKAM.NET
Name Server: NS1-207.AKAM.NET
Name Server: NS1-228.AKAM.NET
Name Server: USC5.AKAM.NET
Name Server: USE1.AKAM.NET
Name Server: USE5.AKAM.NET
DNSSEC: unsigned

Information source: http://whois.domaintools.com/v9.com
Search for others: http://whois.domaintools.com

One site I found stated:

---- Begin quote
v9.com is an web address of V9 Portal Site. It owned and operated by Beijing ELEX Technology Co., LTD currently based in Beijing, China.

To give you an exact description, V9 is not a virus. It is a search engine similar to Google, Bing, and others. Aside from that, v9.com offers navigation links to known and popular web sites and online services.

It is due to aggressive promotion that v9.com was dubbed by some computer users as a virus. It is installed on the computer without proper consent from the user. In most instances, v9.com comes bundled with other programs that are made available for public use. Installing the said program also loads v9.com to the PC. Its trait of dominating Internet browser what makes user thinks that it is a virus. Home page of the affected browser will be replaced by v9.com Search. Moreover, it opens a new tab whenever user does a search and click on a link from the results.

The company provides simple removal instructions for V9. This is their response to the growing numbers of Internet users who protest on the assertive action of the adware.
---- End quote

Source of quote, see the following link.

By the way the above is stated (beating around the bush), it is my opinion that the site is trying to allege that V9 isn't a virus, malware or adware, but I don't agree.  If you look at the removal instructions, presuming they are accurate, you'll see that V9 renames the original program, and installs without consent.  Exactly some tactics that viruses, malware or adware does.

I suggest an additional step, other than just deleting and renaming the files.

1.  Go to:  http://www.fileshredder.org/
2.  Install the program.
3.  Drag and drop the bad files into filshredder.
4.  Securely delete the files.

I securely delete all my files... it might take longer, but it's safer!.

There are instructions at this site on how to remove the problem:

http://www.im-infected.com/hijacker/httpwww-v9-com-hijacker.html

Have a great day! :bananas: :bounce:

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 13 July 2014 - 08:08 AM.

#3 mlietz

mlietz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the help! I actually was able to scan with SuperAntiSpyware and found a Trojan as well as other adware. I then did that in safe mode and then came back on restart and reset my browser. Do you think the browser hijacker is still on my machine? The computer is running a lot faster now and the symptoms seem to be gone but I don't know about these things sometimes, My son is helping me. 

Edited by mlietz, 13 July 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

I always maintain the opinion that once a computer gets infected with viruses, malware, etc it needs to be reset; because there is NO ABSOLUTE GUARANTEE that anything it's affected can be removed.  No one can honestly make that promise.

My guess is that SAS may have renamed/deleted the files, as indicated in the link I provided.

Have a great day! :bananas: :bounce:

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Note -

Try the scans you have listed in Normal Mode, not Safe Mode.

Some tools like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are not designed to run in Safe Mode

Safe mode only allows the basic required operating system to load, with a few smaller extras. This is not what you want .. You need the full system opened to allow the tools to access all hidden areas.

Download TDSSKiller and save it to your desktop.

• Extract (unzip) its contents to your desktop.
  • Open the TDSSKiller folder and doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application, then on Start Scan.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is require, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory (usually C:\ folder) in the form of TDSSKiller_xxxx_log.txt. (being date / time)
    Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users