Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer acting up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:50 AM

net is some times fast and some times slow
my videos have lag spikes and at the same time my webcam light flashes like it is in use.

i just got a new ISP and reloaded my computer...
i have heard of webcams lights flashing and sending pix some where... but i have no idea how to search my computer for some thing like that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Try 'speedtest.net' to get a check on your download and upload performance. If you just want a one time measure there is no need to register with them, just use the website. If you register, which is free, you can get a record of your connection performance over time and this can be very useful when it comes to arguing with an ISP ! You need to remember that almost all ISPs advertise their services as, for example, upto 10Mbps. If you are on average getting 8 or 9 Mbps, this would be considered quite reasonable. If, again on average, you were only getting 1 or 2Mbps this would probably be regarded as unreasonable although it would literally fit within the description 'upto 10Mbps'.

Your videos may be lagging because of a poor connection, or - if you download a lot - you may be being 'throttled', or you may be suffering purely because of your location relative to the exchange and the number of people in your neighbourhood using the web.

Your web-cam. There is normally a switch somewhere to enable / disable this. It may be a switch mounted beside the lens or it may be a software switch - the 'Fn' key and one of the 'F' keys at the top of your keyboard. I have heard of the seriously paranoid putting a piece of duct tape across the lens !

If you are concerned that unauthorised software is taking images through your web-cam, download and install Malwarebytes, update it then run a quick scan. If it finds any unauthorised software such as malware start a new topic in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC. You can get malwarebytes here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

the video is already fully buffered... it shouldn't be effected by my net speed.

well i just always keep my webcam pointed at the wall unless im using it... but i have had this webcam for 4 years and never seen it do this before.

not sure if i am missing an option in malwarebytes but it didn't find any thing. :(
i let it update before the scan so that isn't it.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

The video is already fully buffered... it shouldn't be effected by my net speed

I may have misunderstood you - when you said you were getting lag spikes on video in the context of connection speed I took you to mean you were watching streaming video such as YouTube or catch-up TV.

I just got a new ISP and reloaded my computer

What do you mean when you say you 'reloaded' the computer ?  Do you mean you just installed the new ISP's software or did you coincidentally do a full re-install on the computer ?

In either case I would be inclined to check that you have the latest video and web-cam drivers for your operating system.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Teisei

Teisei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

well it was off video hosting sites... but the video was fully buffered... and the lag spikes only happened when the cam blinked on

i fully reloaded windows.... one of the system files got corrupted and the computer would reboot as soon as windows started.
* i didn't install the ISP software tho... centurylink*

ok checked the drivers and supposedly i have the latest versions... not to surprised about the webcam but a little about the video card... it has been out for almost a year now i would think they would have at least a small update.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

From what you are saying, I still think your best courses of action are -

(1)    Run speedtest.net two or three times over the course of a day to see what sort of performance your ISP is actually delivering, and,

(2)    Disable / switch off / un-plug your web-cam and see what happens.

With experience of my wife watching catch-up TV, you need at least 5Mbps per connection on your network to avoid buffering / lags.

One other area to check - is your network secured, or can anybody use your connection ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users