Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound device found on HP G6 2103AX running XP...help!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thetonester

thetonester

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

Hi...my very very elderly aunt bought the HP G6 2103AX laptop but just couldnt get her head around Windows 7

and asked me to install Win XP SP3 on it. Rather than wipe win 7 i set up a seperate partition

with XP on it...and after much work and many hours got it all up and running with the exception of sound.

Try as i might the laptop says no audio device detected and i cant find anything on line in the way of drivers that will make it work. I even did the add new device thing under control panel and it says it finds the HD audio and does some installing

(well it did it once) but still nothing shows up under audio devices. No volume icon in try. The sound card section

of device manager shows AMD high def audio device and says its working but the sound section of control panel shows nothing. Please help me as she has spent alot of money on this laptop and it has sat for nearly a year

un used as she cant fathom win 7 and is too old to learn (well i dont think so but she has convinced herself its too hard)

Im desperate to get this going for her as to be honest i just want to be rid of it and i cant give it back with no sound as she

wont be able to do much with it. is there ANYTHING you can recommend?  many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

Has she even tried or is she one of those changeophopics? You can make Windows 7 look like XP by using Windows Classic which is part of Windows 7. Don't even tell her what you did. She won't know the difference. I went straight from XP to 7 with no issues. It's not much of a learning curve. You just have to overcome her preconceived fears. It's not safe to stay on XP.

Edited by frankp316, 13 July 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#3 thetonester

thetonester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Shes 70 mate...that aint gonna happen...if i make 70... i will probably still be using win 7 haha

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

As a volunteer I help teach mainly elderly people to use whatever computer they happen to own. This ranges from Vista laptops through Android tablets to iPad minis, and most of them manage to learn to do what they want to do.

Frankp has a good point. Set it to the Windows Classic theme, put her favourite wallpaper on the desktop, set the options on the start menu to be as near to XP as possible, put her 'normal' icons on the desktop and about the only thing she will miss is the three shut down choice boxes of XP in the middle of the screen.

And LIE - tell her you have put it back to XP  but the latest version !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users