Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen w/ curser...Format and reinstall Win 7 ???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pmrichie

pmrichie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Hello,   I am somewhat ignorant when it comes to anything beyond computer basics.

I have a Lenovo H420 Desktop, with Windows 7 home version - 64 bit, 1 Tb HD, 8 GB Ram.

Last week I found out from my ISP that my e-mail account had been hacked and was being used to send out spam e-mails.  I ran my AVG security program and it found nothing.  I restarted my computer and now all I get is a blank black screen with an active curser.  The numlock and caplock keys still work, I have left the computer on overnight in case it was a slow start up but that did nothing.

I have tried using my recover disks that came with my computer ...they run through the recovery but it changes nothing.  I tried running malwarebytes from the dvd drive...it found nothing. 

I have all my important data backed up to an external storage drive so at this point I think I want to re-format the HD and reinstall Windows 7.

I have no idea how to do that.  Windows 7 came installed on my computer and I cannot find a product key anywhere on the tower or with the paperwork that came with the computer.

What would be my best avenue to format and re-install windows under these circumstances?   Or is there a chance that I could fix the problem with out formatting?

I am able to bring up the command prompt in safe mode.

Thank you very much to anyone who has the time and expertise to help...it would be greatly appreciated.

pmrichie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

See Using the Rescue System .

Louis

#3 pmrichie

pmrichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

Thank you for responding Louis.

I mistakenly forgot to include in my first post that I was able to run the Lenovo "oneKey" recovery and reset to factory default settings.  Doing that did not change anything in regards to how the computer acts on start up.

I'm sorry I wasted your time by forgetting to include that in my original post.

I really appreciate your help Louis.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

No problem with the omission, hardly anyone includes all pertinent data without prompting/questions :).

Unfortunately, I can't suggest any more than I have.  I'm not very familiar with OEM systems in general and certainly not familiar with Lenovo systems...but others here are.  Relax and wait for one of the more knowledgeable members to respond to your topic.

Louis

#5 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

worth a try

STEPS:
1. Boot up as normal, and wait until you see the cursor on the black screen
2. When you're booted, press Ctrl+Alt+Del