Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crash, Keyboard Not Working, Overheating?, Floppy Disks Fail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lauraashley

lauraashley

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

SO... my computer is a little less than 3 years old, eMachines desktop, with Windows XP... about a week ago I realized some things weren't showing up on my start menu. then, friday night, i was typing and the keyboard started entering mulutiple keystrokes- not sticking, just being erratic. I'd press a key and my wallpaper started changing, completely wrong signals. Then, it stopped working. I turned my computer off, no signs of overheating as far as i knew, and turned it back on to get the black error screen at start up saying "floppy disks fail (80)" press F1 to continue. sometimes f1 works, sometimes it doesn't. Yes, i had spilled something, but about 2 months ago- bought new keyboard, worked for several hours, could get past the error screen and then there's a screen talking about booting from CD... finally got back, worked for a while, then the next day, the brand new keyboard started flashing all its lights and i was lucky if one or two keystrokes were made. turned it off, tried old keyboard, same old problems... have been messing with it for a day or so, with long breaks in between. yesterday was starting and restarting, neither keyboard working, then smelled it overheating and turned it off and unplugged it.

My questions are, what is this?!
and, how much should i spend to fix this, if all i really need is my hard drive ? what is the liklihood that the hard drive is damaged? and how do you go about removing a hard drive and encasing it for use on maybe a new laptop?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH any any any help would be really greatly appreciated.. thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 02:42 PM

There are several components inside your computer case that may have overheated. If you're lucky you might be able to spot the damaged component either by sight or by smell. It sounds like it might be the power supply or a motherboard capacitor, but it could be something else.

You already did the most important thing by unplugging the machine. Don't plug it back in unless you are advised to do so.

As to how much you should spend to fix this, that's a personal decision. A 3-year-old computer is usually not worth more than a hundred bucks, but you might be able to fix it for less, depending on what got frizzled and whether you feel capable of tackling it yourself.

It sounds like your main concern is the data on your hard drive. Surely you've heard the old advice about backups, if you don't have any all I can say is you may be lucky. Depending on what fried your hard drive could be okay, or not. Easiest way to check is to install your drive as "slave" in another system and see if it's readable.

The one thing I'm sure of is that this is a hardware problem, so I'd suggest asking a moderator to transfer this topic to the proper forum.

#3 Hamster1209

Hamster1209

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:17 PM

This sounds like a dying mother board to me. My advice is to get a new barebones machine and have your hard drive installed. Your mouse and keyboard should also work in the new system.

#4 lauraashley

lauraashley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

what is the deal with just taking out a hard drive and putting it in one of those case things? does that work... obviously i guess depending on if it's damaged or not.. but if i decided to scrap my computer and get a laptop, would that be a way to keep my stuff from the old desktop?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:54 PM

To use the old Hdd with a laptop you would need an adapter (and case) to convert your hard drive into an external USB hard drive. They are readilly available for $30 - $40.

The chances are the overheating problem is either the motherboard or power supply or both, and either one could have taken the other as well as the CPU with it. The HDD is more isolated and less likely to have overheated but anything is possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users