Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Wireless Keyboard 1.1 and Win 7 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

I have been setting up a refurbished Hewlett Packard desktop computer for an acquaintance whose previous desktop had just taken a one way trip to our local re-cycling centre.

Exactly which model it is I failed to take note of, but it arrived with 2Gb of RAM, 32 bit Win 7 freshly installed (complete with install disc) and a 180Gb HD. It was bought from a local company I have dealt with for over 20 years who have an excellent customer relations record.

I used my spare USB keyboard and mouse to do some fairly minimal setting up on it – mainly setting up the software he would need – and took it round to him. He uses an MS wireless keyboard and mouse and that is when the fun started.

The mouse works perfectly – the keyboard produced gibberish.

He had an install disc for the keyboard, so I ran it and got the answer ‘Incompatible’. It only contained drivers up to Vista. I then went home and downloaded the Win 7 32 bit drivers from MS and returned to install them. This time I got a message saying ‘Later version installed’ so I went into ‘Programs and features’ and uninstalled the software and re-installed the ones I had just downloaded. Result – gibberish, exactly the same gibberish.

The MS file I downloaded is titled :- ITPx86_1033_8.20.469.0.exe

Since I had the Win 7 install disc to hand I decided to do a repair install on Windows, carefully specifying both language and keyboard as English (UK). Result – Gibberish !

His wireless mouse is still working perfectly and we did change the batteries on the keyboard.

At which point I left him with a spare USB keyboard – which works perfectly – and decided to consult. Any body got any ideas on how to get this keyboard to work ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

Chris,

Have you tried the keyboard on your computer, or any other computer to confirm that it will work?

I don't know of any hardware switches in the keyboard that would tie it to a specific USB receiver.

Is that received plugged in to a USB2.x or USB3.x port [system is too old for that problem.]

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I also downloaded the so-called 'guide' from MS, which contains no useful information whatsoever !

He does have an oval black object on his desk which might tie up with the picture on the bottom of his keyboard, but he didn't have any sort of dongle stuck into his computer like I have seen on other wireless keyboard and mouse combinations. This picture suggests that you should press a button on this oval object and then one on the underside of the keyboard. I think I will have to take this back to his house and try that.

It won't put me to any great inconvenience - I pass within 200 yards of his house every day, normally.

The bit I don't understand is that his mouse and keyboard were sitting on his desk all the time, along with his router which I think was powered up all the time from when I took his old computer away to when I brought his new one back. Yet his mouse works perfectly and the keyboard produces nonsense. Once i have tried these buttons I will post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

Chris,

Wrong logic - you're using human, we're talking computer!

The mouse may or may not require syncing with the computer - I suspect not so that you have some minimal communication capability. The keyboard may involve a built-in crypto capability which must be synced between the devices. 

Keep usposted

Dick E

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,316 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

You may be right about me thinking like a human - it's a habit I find hard to break !

I didn't get round to see him today, between work and the Tour de France I got tied up all day, will try tomorrow It's a rest day in the Tour.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

I share your problem. When possible I put on my digital skull cap and try to think binary logic. [I'm told it sometimes causes me to drool]

Stay well and surf sage

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users