Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 SSD drives?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lostsoul65

lostsoul65

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

I heard the Motherboards are running at 10Mb/s so don't you need 2 SSD drives for that. Can you hook up 2 SSD drives together and get twice the data transfer rate?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Two drives can be configured as a RAID array but they would not receive data any faster than a single drive. The advantage of multiple drive arrays is that you get data redundancy which means that if a drive fails you may or may not know it happened. There would be no data failure.

A 10MB pipe will transmit 10MB be it to a single location or to a multi disk array.

Hope this helps

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'm sorry I meant 10 Gb's

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

certain RAID arrays will offer slightly better performance, but with SSDs Im not sure youd really notice it to be honest with you. RAID 1 with redundancy is great if one drive fails, a RAID 0 (striped) will boost, but I doubt youd see the difference. And if one drive failed, youd lose everything. With my setup I have a single SSD as my boot drive, and 2 standard 500 gig hard drives that Im planning on putting in RAID 1 (havent yet)

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

I'm not talking about RAID, I'm asking about parallel Drives like in parallel CPU's in super computers. I understand that the Motherboard allows for 10 Gb's of data flow. So my question is how? Also is it possible to have parallel drives for faster data transfer?

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

You are either talking about RAID or you're talking about just having two separate drives in the machine.  If you want to combine the drives you are either talking RAID0 or RAID1.  RAID0 may give you a slight speed increase, but as the_patriot11 you probably won't notice it with SSDs.  TRIM support, also known as garbage collection, may not be supported in a RAID configuration.  RAID1, drive mirroring, is to protect against hardware failure.

RAID is not a backup solution and will not protect you if you get hit by one of the new encryption ransom malware infections.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Assuming you mean is there a way to have a single SATA port address two drives, then no, SATA is specifically designed for a single drive per port. However as the interface theoretical maximum throughput rises, drives with matching performance come along to make use of it. There's no point manufacturers producing the faster drives until the interfaces get established in the market.

When SATA 3.0 was the current standard, 6Gbit/s gave approx. 600MB/s and readily available consumer drives have risen to around 560MB/s read performance. However on faster interfaces like PICe, you can get drives like a Mushkin Scorpion, with around 4 times the speed. No doubt SATA 3.2 SSDs will start to appear to take advantage of the faster interface as it becomes the norm.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 lostsoul65

lostsoul65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

They have the M.2 for the SSD drive so would that give me better data transfer rate than a standard SSD drive?

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

Looks like the potential is there but only if both SSD and slot implement 4 lanes:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6372/samsung-xp941-512gb-m-2-pcie-ssd-review/index2.html

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users