Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Windows Update. WININET.dll missing.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sandalman3000

Sandalman3000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

A failed windows update (Caused by a hard reset happening while the windows update was restarting). I ignored the disc check and the computer got stuck on congifuring files step 3 of 3.

After that failed I went through the disc check in which a lot of indexes were found to be corrupted (Possibly wrong word here). After the disc check I start up the computer and I was greeted with multiple messages about WININET.dll missing on multiple programs. 

I cannot run half of my programs, and google chrome will not load webpages. I cannot complete the windows update, and when I do a system restore (Tried multiple points) it fails and reverts back to the current. 

I have done a virus scan on malware bytes and came up clean.

Right now I am considering updating to windows 7 (My vista recovery disc is missing), or/and getting a new harddrive and using the new one to install programs and then transfer my data.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Run sfc /scannow, you may get lucky and get it working properly.

Do you have the installation disc for this version of Windows?

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start button, then click on Run type cmd in the text box.  

You will see the following message This task will be created with administrative privileges, click on Ok, then press Enter.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

A page similar to the one below will open.

commandprompt_zps212bc71a.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems in the first portion of the scan it should stop, to be sure that the scan has stopped wait five minutes, then type in exit and press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please post the log of this scan.

To find sfc /scannow log, type cmd in the Search programs and files box, 

cmd will appear above the search box under Apps., right click on it and choose Run as administrator, this will open the Elevated Command Prompt.  This will look simlare to the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box, then press Enter.  

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Click on this to open the log, copy it and paste it in your topic. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users