Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Laptop Randomly Freezes Task Manager Shows Disk Usage At 100%

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gilliger

gilliger

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I have a brand new laptop (2 weeks old) that randomly freezes for as long as a minute in which nothing works. I have 8gb of ram and a 4th gen Intel processor so I can't imagine why this would happen. At first I was afraid of malware/spyware and was helped out on another forum in which it was determined my machine should be clean. They have directed me here now. The computer is virtually empty. I haven't transferred any of my old files from my previous pc over. 

The freezing happens randomly, generally while online. Chrome will indicate that it's waiting for the cache.It is not however specific to Chrome, happens with firefox and IE too. Sometimes I will be in Microsoft Word and it will freeze. We did hard disk checks and everything showed fine. 

Any help you can offer is appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

That sounds very much like a heat problem.

Are all of the vents clear so that airflow isn't obstructed in any way? Can you hear the fan running when you turn the computer on?

Try installing this one and post the results

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 gilliger

gilliger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes the vents are all clear. The laptop is primarily used at my desk and there are no obstructions and with it only being 2 weeks old there hasn't been enough time for dust accumulation. Also, I can hear the fan run whenever starting up.

Below is the link to the snapshot. Thanks for your help.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GJzf8RQn41tiYRFEiWlk22X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users