Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OPEN SOFTWARE UPDATER?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 noodletek0

noodletek0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

using win7 64 bit, this is a fresh install.

so yesterday  i was on youtube, browsing past pages of videos, happen upon page 3....» hxxps://opensoftwareupdater.com appears, i exit it, i go back to page 1 and move to page 3....

apparently on page 3 something triggers » hxxps://opensoftwareupdater.com to appear and wanting me to install something.

i was on no other site only youtube.

anyone experience something intrusive like this on youtube yet?

because everytime i would click back to page 3 it would pop up, i would move forward to page 4 or backward to page 2 and nothing happened. but on page 3 i would get a pop up...eventually it went away and i could not replicate it.

i could not find any malware

this pic i found on the net, it's what happened to me.

malware on youtube?

73h2fa.jpg

Edited by Orange Blossom, 12 July 2014 - 03:27 PM.
Deactivated links. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

OpenSoftwareUpdater.com is related to a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). Many programs, toolbars, add-ons/plug-ins, and browser extensions come bundled with other free third-party software you download from the Internet (often without the knowledge or consent of the user). In some cases, they may be included in Installers or Downloaders found at hosting sites such as CNET, BrotherSoft, Softonic, FreewareFiles and Tucows. These bundled packages, installers and downloaders can often be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, pop-up ads, browser hijacking which may change your home page and search engine, and user profile corruption.

Many toolbars and Add-ons can be removed from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel, so always check there first. With most adware/junkware it is strongly recommended to deal with it like a legitimate program and uninstall from Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. In most cases, using the uninstaller of the adware not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores any changed configuration.

Also see this removal guide from Malwaretips.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users