Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password change

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pwrath

pwrath

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

I forgot my password and got a new generated one, but when I try to enter my own, it say incorrect key code. Can you help. Thanks-Pam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

If you are using a Microsoft account (Windows 8), you can reset it online. However, if it's only a local account, you may need to reinstall Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

#3 pwrath

pwrath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

Sorry, I meant to the Bleepingcomputer site.

#4 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

Sorry, I meant to the Bleepingcomputer site.

Oh, I see. Since you posted in the Windows 8 forum, I assumed it was for a Windows 8 computer. Oh well.

Anyway, have you tried the "I've forgotten my password" link? You mentioned it generated a new password for you: were you able to login with this password?

#5 pwrath

pwrath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Yes, I am logged in with the password they sent, but when I try to change it to my own password it says incorrect key code.

#6 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

Yes, I am logged in with the password they sent, but when I try to change it to my own password it says incorrect key code.

OK, I went through the same process. Even though it might say "incorrect security key", it may have worked. Here's what I'd suggest: open an incognito window (Ctrl+Shift+N for Chrome, don't know about other browsers) so that none of your information (cookies, etc.) is read in. Try logging into BleepingComputer with the password you think you changed it to.

If this works, then your password was changed properly. If not, then you should contact the administrators for more help.

Edited by Quevvy, 12 July 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#7 pwrath

pwrath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

Quevvy, it did work.. Thank you for the help!!

#8 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

You're welcome! It must just be a bug in their code. But I'm glad I could help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users