Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop with trouble removing virus/malware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stallion81

stallion81

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hello all. I'm working on my wifes ASUS laptop for 2 days. Windows 7. She complained about slow speeds. I removed something a year or so ago(rkill/MB), so I decided to dig in. I'm familiar with hardware(wrenching), but not so good with the software side. 

I started by removing unwanted /needed programs via add/remove. I had installed MSE and Malewarebytes the prior time removing virus. As I launched MB it prompted me to start the trial again, fine and dandy. It removed 830ish PUP's etc. I thought all was well. As I was aiming for search conduit, I reset her internet explorer settings.

Big mistake for me. Her company uses IE7 for there programs. Someone in the company got her to IE7 from the original IE8 on the comp. The programs are now supposed to run up to IE10 now, but she could not quote anything outta IE8( I had her try the F12 to IE7....no go).

SO... she tried to download something???? She said IE7, but I was not there. The computer was fine(she said still slow) after I worked on it. NOT so after the downloads. Obviously alot packaged with the download. Not removable is PC optimzer pro V3.2 and something else I'll have to get the name later.

Today comp is waaaay slow, wont run MSE or MB, crashed a few times. Boot to safe mode, both MSE and MB gets stuck. Put Rkill on usb and run. Says good to go. MB stopped both times at the same file(stuck 15 mins on same file), I ran Rkill before both attempts. I'm currently trying to run MSE after a 3rd Rkill run, its still creeping along but sticks alot. 

I'm running safe mode without network....is this correct. Any help appreciated, and I'm very raw with computers. BTW she has NO system restore point.

Thanks for any ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

IE7 on Windows 7 is a very non-standard way of doing things since Windows 7 started out with Windows 8 from the get-go in 2009.  It sounds like things on that laptop have gotten pretty badly corrupted, so I'd make sure I had whatever it takes to restore that system to factory settings if it should come to that.  I'd also be sure to keep current backups for any data you don't want to lose.  Could she use Chrome and or Firefox browsers instead of IE?  IE has been buggy for years so I avoid it for all but Windows Update.  

You could try running SFC to check for corrupt system files and attempt to repair them.  To do that click Start and type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE, and click Run as administrator.  Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.  

Another thing you could try would be to boot from a reapir or Windows 7 install disc and do a repair operation.  If you don't have either, you can make a repair disc by clicking Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and Restore -> Create system repair disc.  Insert a blank CD-R and it'll make it in about 4 minutes.  Then boot from that disc and do the repair.

When you've gotten that system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 12 July 2014 - 12:07 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 stallion81

stallion81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the reply......I dont think her company operates from anything but IE. She does have chrome on it also for basic browsing, but it is a work laptop mainly. She actually works for a large insurance company.....NOT to be named here. We do have a slave, its normally just for pics and documents. The computer I'm typing from is a 2009 HP, I just reinstalled windows the other day. Kids gaming on it ....alot of crap. Hopefully I have moved everything properly this time....I've not checked(the slave) as moving to the laptop has kept me busy. I use MFF, but I'm in chrome right now. I've never used IE....except to get others after reboots. I've reinstalled on a 2002 Gateway, 2005 ?(her friends) and this before....all after arctic silver the heatsink.....but still confused a bit on the software side. 

MSE is stuck so I will follow your instructions.......I "supposedly" transfered everything from this comp to slave the other day thru this machine. I will check for the backup on the slave. If its there.....can I use this option with the laptop by plugging in the slave to the laptop? Both units run windows 7....

Thanks.

#4 stallion81

stallion81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

OK the slave has a BIN file from the other day......only 1 KB.......Doesn't seem right. How to move it back to the old comp and see whats in it......I'm guessing nothing. Oh boy lost a few things if thats the case.

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

You can transfer DATA to your heart's content, but for software you have to go through the install process.  That's because of registry entries and the fact that parts of applications go in different places, some of which go in the Windows folder that you don't want to fool with.  BIN files are parts of applications, so without the application that use them, they're worthless.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 stallion81

stallion81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

So when I let my computer move all I thought was pictures/documents....was nothing I really needed? Nice...oh well live and learn. I cant do this with hers. Last time I did it with the old gateway I did it all by hand......Pictures/documents/music......I gotta get this stuff to the slave before I reinstall. 

Thanks for the help...I'll look into Easeus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users