Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Issues and Slow searches

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alatac

Alatac

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

For the last week I've noticed that when I search for something on google, it will freeze for about 5 seconds before the search actually goes through. Even right now this website is hanging for me when I try to load a page. I have also been getting lots of network disconnects, even though supposedly I have an excellent signal strength. I get the yellow triangle a lot throughout the day. Sometimes my browser will just disappear/quit and then I have to restart it.

The only thing I've done differently is playing guild wars 2. The network disconnects get worse after playing. And my computer tends to just act sluggish in general until I restart. I did send in a tech support request to the company but haven't heard back.

I have MSE installed and ran Malewarebytes but found nothing. I have very little installed on this computer since I just recently had to reinstall windows (about a month ago), because my SSD card failed. So it's pretty much a fresh install of Windows 7 Pro, 64bit.

It does seem to take a little longer to start the OS than a couple of weeks ago and when one of these episodes occur, I can't even get speedtest's website to run at the time to complete a test, because the upload rate is none existent. But then when my computer goes back to normal for a little while and it does complete, my upload speed is double my download speed which makes no sense since I'm not on a server plan or anything.

All other computers in my house work fine at the same time. Just in case, I did reset my router but it didn't make a difference.

At idle I'm usually running about 2GB out of the 8GB and my CPU sits at 0-1%.

Is it possible the game is doing some horrible things to my network card/connection? Or could it be something else?

Thank you for your assistance!

Also, in case this helps, I included my error logs:

Spoiler

Edit: I used to have Norton on my computer, but when I reinstalled windows I just put on MSE/Malewarebytes. Do you think I should go back to Norton?

Edited by Alatac, 12 July 2014 - 12:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

Can you follow this guide and let me know how it turns out please. :)

http://www.ihelpforum.com/index.php?guides/speeding-up-your-internet-connection-vista-windows-7.44/

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Also please go ahead and run the norton removal tool, then reboot your machine.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

#4 Alatac

Alatac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hi and thank you for your response.  I have reinstalled all the drivers listed on that page and flushed my DNS according to the code provided.

I never had Norton on this machine (it was on a previous SSD card). I mentioned it because I'm still paying for the license and was considering installing it in case the MSE/Malewarebytes combination isn't enough.

I'm still having the same trouble in that my internet is disconnecting after playing that game and when I search on google, I'm still getting the delay about 50% of the time.

If this isn't maleware related, is there anyone I should contact about this issue? Other than my ISP?

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Lets see a couple of logs from your machine please.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool and save it on your desktop.

• Shut down your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click it and select Run as administrator.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Please attach the JRT log.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.     

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Also due to the error below.

Error: (07/12/2014 00:44:22 AM) (Source: Service Control Manager) (User: )
Description: The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error:
%%1068

See this link.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/network-location-awareness-service/a5885fd7-fb56-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

#7 Alatac

Alatac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I read the link you posted and followed the recommendation to set the services to Manual.

JRT Log:

Spoiler

From AdwCleaner:

Spoiler

Minitoolbox results:

Spoiler

For the driver that shows not installed in the MiniToolBox log, that is a realtek audio driver that I didn't install because it causes my audio to go in and out because I have the intel driver instead.

Edited by Alatac, 15 July 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Remove from your machine:

Microsoft Security Essentials (HKLM\...\Microsoft Security Client) (Version: 4.5.216.0 - Microsoft Corporation)

Replace with 360 total security run a full scan, remove any infections.

http://360safe.com/totalsecurity.html

Also looking at your ipconfig from the mini toolbox log the steps at the site below have not been followed to completion......

Please make sure and disable ipv6 remove tunnel adapters and find a better dns server for your machine.

http://www.ihelpforum.com/index.php?guides/speeding-up-your-internet-connection-vista-windows-7.44/

Tell us how your issue is..

#9 Alatac

Alatac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

I re-ran the Fixit and the tunnel adapters should be gone now.

I was not able to use the DNS search program from the website because the program kept freezing and Malewarebytes blocked something when I started the scan. So instead I used the DNS lookup tool found here which was able to complete the scan successfully:

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

According to the report, the two DNS servers I am currently using are showing up as the best, fastest ones available.

I haven't had time to play the game again to see if I get the same disconnects and/or sluggish effects after quitting, but I will try and test it tomorrow. The google search does seem to be responding better though.

Edited by Alatac, 16 July 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Ok, keep us posted. :_)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users