Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ADMIN PROBLEM, MALWARE, ETC.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NCSUwolfie

NCSUwolfie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

Hello!

I have a Dell OptiPlex 3010, which is about 6 months old & has Windows 7 on it.  We use Internet Explorer 10 as our web browser, as my husband has sites bookmarked on it that he does not want to lose.  Also, we have Norton Antivirus software on our computer, & it scans weekly for viruses, etc.  Recently, we have developed some problems with the computer & cannot resolve them.  I will outline them below.

(1.)  We have had spotty access to our e-mail via CenturyLink.  Usually, when I try to access it the first time, there will be a popup from Centurylink or some other adware.  The second time, I receive the HTTP 400/Bad Gateway message.  Just now, it has finally loaded.  This is the first time since probably Wednesday.  Go figure...

(2.)  We are having numerous pop-ups, ranging from needing to upload Internet Explorer 11 to anonymous surveys.  The pop-ups occur when I go to a website & then try to navigate the website.  I might click on a box to enter my password, & an ad or survey pops up.

(3.)  I cannot uninstall programs that I feel are unnecessary or may be the source of the pop-up activity.  Whenever I go to the "Uninstall" screen & attempt to uninstall a program, a box pops up, saying that I must be the administrator to uninstall the program.  The things I want to remove are Gorilla Price, Homenet Manager (My husband thought we needed this to replace Network Magic but found out we don't need it.), & Trend MicroClient/Server Security Agent (We don't need this.  We have Norton.).

I am thinking that I inadvertently downloaded something on my computer that created the pop-ups.  It's so hard to know what is safe & what isn't. 

Additionally, my husband tried to work on my computer last night, & he made two discoveries:  #1 - Somehow, two users are running at the same time on my computer.  He had set it up where I would be the only one (or so he thought), & I don't even need a password to access the desktop.  This is probably the reason for the problem with uninstalling programs.  #2 - Two antivirus packages are running, apparently, Norton & Trend.  I don't know where Trend came from, unless it resulted from a faulty download.

Does anyone have advice for how to fix this?  Fortunately, my files are on an external hard drive, so hopefully, they are protected in the event of some type of purging activity that may have to be done.  Thanks, in advance, for help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Uninstall one of the AV programs...running more than one is known to cause system problems.

Follow that up with running the chkdsk /r command.

Louis

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Just as I was about to tell you to uninstall one of your antivirus programs, I see Louis beat me to it. :thumbup2:

If you're still having problems after that, you could download Malwarebytes from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/ and run it to get rid of malware.  For uninstalling things you can't get rid of via the Programs and Features applet, the Revo Uninstaller works well for me.  You can download it from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/ .

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 NCSUwolfie

NCSUwolfie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Thank you both!  We like Norton Antivirus, & we want to keep it running.  We want to get rid of Trend Antivirus protection that somehow made its way to our computer.  The problem is that I cannot uninstall Trend, due to the Administrator problem.  How would you advise that I proceed, now that you know this information?

#5 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Is the ID you're using have admin authority?  If not, you need to use one.  

If that's not the problem, you can download the Revo Uninstaller from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/ .  It's worked well for me when I've had problems with the normal way of uninstalling things via the Control Panel.  You'll need an ID with admin authority to install it though.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 12 July 2014 - 12:13 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

It's possible that Trend-Micro is installed by your ISP...if so, I would uninstall the Norton applications.

Louis

#7 NCSUwolfie

NCSUwolfie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hello!

I am pleased to announce success.  My husband downloaded the Revo Uninstaller & got rid of the suspect programs.  He then downloaded one of the Malware programs & got rid of the suspect files.  There are no more pop-ups.

We did have trouble accessing e-mail, but he figured out what to do.  Many, many thanks for your direction!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users