Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't even access BIOS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coffeee

coffeee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

I tried changing MSCONFIG to force my PC to boot in safe mode (to clear a virus), now I can't even access BIOS. It starts up and freezes on the startup screen

My intel motherboard has an error E6

Is there any way to recover this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

If this is a desktop model, clear CMOS by doing the following

Either use the jumper. It should be near the CMOS Battery or Unplug the power, remove the battery, hold the power button down for 10 seconds. Replace the battery and the power cord.

This is a EFI BIOS. The E6 code means it could not finish loading drivers.

Do you have a model number of the motherboard? Depending on the model number the jumper method may be a little different but here is the instructions for one board.The motherboard manual would give you a location of the jumper.

CMOS Jumper
The CMOS jumper is used to clear the CMOS configuration to reset the CMOS. This has the same result as when you remove the CMOS battery. To use this jumper:

1. Open the chassis and move the jumper from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3.
  2. Plug power back in and turn on the system.
  3. Wait 10 - 15 seconds.
  4. Turn off the system and disconnect power.
  5. Move the jumper back to pins 1 & 2.
  6. Close the chassis and reconnect power.

#3 coffeee

coffeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

Hi, thanks for the help but it didn't work :( still gets as far as giving the boot options on the screen then freezes :(

The model number is: DP55WG intel motherboard... looked at the intel guide and followed their instructions but no success :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

Searching came up with quite a few pages on this intel e6 error code. It seems that it can also be related to a hardware problem, including ram. Some also suggested updating the BIOS but I would do this as a final option because it's possible to brick the motherboard doing it.

See if powercycling the computer will help. Detach the power cord, hold the power button down for 30 seconds then attach the cord and try to access the BIOS

This isn't your board but the poster has some good advise on troubleshooting including some of the following.

I don't know how much experience you have had around computers but when you do the following remove the power and ground yourself by touching some bare metal on the case before you do the following.

Look first at swapping out your RAM and only using one stick and moving it to different slots.

If you have any other PCI cards besides a video card, remove those and see if you can access the BIOS.

Here are the instructions for doing a BIOS recovery on  your board. Your method would be under Recovery BIOS Update. There is also a video. You would put the BIOS file on a USB. Remove the CMOS jumper. Attach the USB and then Boot. The video is for a NUC but it would be the same for you. Also take a look at the PDF. Good Luck.

#5 coffeee

coffeee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:04 AM

Will do my best :)

Cheers for the advice!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

You haven't posted any other specs other than your motherboard, so I don't know how many RAM modules you have installed.  But if there is more than one I would suggest removing all but one module and run the computer to see if this problem continues with all of the modules.  

You should also use a voltmeter to check the PSU rail voltages.

There are three main voltage rails:

Yellow +12VDC

Red +5VDC

Orange +3.3VDC

Readings should not have variances larger than +/- five percent.  

Maximum.........Minimum
12.6V.................11.4V
5.25V.................4.75V
3.47V.................3.14V

Another possibility could be overheating.  Make sure that the inside of the case is free of dust, especially the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU and the same on a dedicated graphics card with a fan.  Do not remove the fan and heat sink in order to clean them unless you have fresh thermal compound to reapply before reattaching the assembly.

It wouldn't hurt to go back and check all of your connections.

I will make one warning.  Your body stores static electricity which if it is discharged to board components inside the case it can kill them.  Before touching anything inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge the static electricity.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users