Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Knox on samsung and unlocking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:23 AM

Have a note 2 on AT&T USA.  Like a dummy I didn't root it before the update to 4.3 and baseband MK6.
Questions
Does Knox lock the flash counter and makes it unable to be reset?
Can this be rooted with MK6 and Knox on it?
Is there a backup for the current OS and loader before the attempt?

Not a pro at phones, so I'm learning, and asking when I can.  I know it might not be the correct site for this, if so sorry about that.  Its just AT&T wants $199 with insurance for a new phone that runs $99 brand new... so I dont have insurance, and would love to go back to 4.2 or 4.1 I think it was. 
Why? battery life, signal, and lockups that AT&T told me via a manager in tech support
"are issues that we are looking into from the last TOA forced update, and we can replace your phone for $199"
I asked,
"What?, you want me to pay more than the phone is worth, to correct something AT&T caused and forced me to take?" 

and on and on.
thanks
cz

Edit: Moved topic from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal
CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

I have a Note II on AT&T, as well! Currently, I have rooted it and have installed CyanogenMod 11 on it. Before doing this, I had upgraded to 4.3 and as far as I could see, I didn't really notice KNOX even being on my phone. I don't exactly remember how I rooted my phone (about 4 months ago or so), but here's a guide for your exact situation. From what I remember, this guide looks like what I did.

If you do run into any problems, I'd suggest using xda-developers.com, since their Android knowledge base is much larger and can help with troubleshooting. Even though I've successfully rooted/installed custom ROMs on several devices, I am by no means an expert.

As for backup, I'm not sure if you can really backup the OS before rooting or installing Clockworkmod or TWRP recoveries. But if you do want to backup app data, there are several apps for that: Titanium Backup or Helium.

However, it might be difficult to downgrade to 4.1.2 while retaining all data because the data may be inconsistent with the OS change. (App data saved by backup apps should be fine though.) Instead of staying on Samsung's TouchWiz interface, I would suggest changing to a custom ROM (OS): there are many different options, but I would suggest CyanogenMod. You can get Android 4.4.4 and it doesn't look as cartoony as TouchWiz, since the design elements are essentially just Google's Android design elements. But there are several features to CyanogenMod that vanilla Android doesn't offer. If you're interested in doing this, CyanogenMod has an entire info page on this phone. Your phone's model is technically t0lteatt, but in CM11, the builds for all Galaxy Note II models were merged into t0lte, so that's the model name to look for.

But I would definitely NOT recommend replacing your phone through AT&T just for performance issues (unless they were actually defective parts or something).

#3 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

Quevvy,

thank you for the reply, I use XDA when I need help, my only issue is finding the right info on their site is a big pain. 

Can Helium be used on a non-rooted phone?

However, it might be difficult to downgrade to 4.1.2 while retaining all data because the data may be inconsistent with the OS change

Not really looking to go back to 4.1.2, seems like it will do more harm for little good.  I was just interested in the Knox thing.  Didn't want to get 3\4th into it, and Knox keep me out of something I needed. 

Also, is there a stock ROM that you know of so if it goes into a brick state I can get it back alive at least?

Lastly, anything you learned that would be helpful to pass on to me that you wish someone would of told you?

Again thank you

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#4 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Can Helium be used on a non-rooted phone?

From the Google Play Store description, it says "Helium does NOT require root." I have not used it extensively, but it does require software on your computer (also where the data will be backed up), whereas other apps (usually requiring root) can perform backups directly from your phone and store the data on your phone (SD card, if possible). 

Also, is there a stock ROM that you know of so if it goes into a brick state I can get it back alive at least?

SamMobile keeps a fairly extensive collection of firmwares for different Samsung device. However, for our device, the most recent firmware is 4.1.2. There are plenty of guides to unbricking/reverting to stock for it, as Google will tell you.

Lastly, anything you learned that would be helpful to pass on to me that you wish someone would of told you?

I would say, just don't be afraid. Be aware of the risks, but if you have a little knowledge of computers/technology in general, it's pretty simple. Especially now that there are so many guides to root, unbrick, etc.

Oh, and every time you install a ROM, make sure to wipe data (factory reset). Otherwise you'll get stuck in a bootloop. This is one of the simplest ways to fix problems from an install.

#5 czarboom

czarboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:30 AM

Great info, thank you again.  Just want to do it right, dont have the cash to get a new phone because I didnt research rooting it before hand.

much thanks

cz

CZARBOOM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users