Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus?......

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mowpar

Mowpar

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

I am not a computer person, my knowledge is very limited. I guess I have a virus?....?..
As I try to remedy the situation it just gets worse. At first it would start up saying opening windows then updating this number of that number before update reached that number, computer shut down, and then started the cycle all over. I started in safe mode seemed to fix the problem. I down loaded avg. then malware bytes then left computer while it down loaded, now for some reason it goes to a black screen saying no boot device available, reboot and same screen appears, will not start in safe mode, when I try it goes to a screen prompting me to press f1 to fix but I get no response after pressing f1,, other number to press is f2 when I do this it takes me to screens I have never seen before or know what to do with.

Please help. Week ends are my only time to get things fixed around house. ,, desperately need you help

Anxiously waiting, Thanks in advance

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

F2 is the BIOS setup key.  The BIOS is the Basic In Out System.  This is contained on a integrated circuit on the motherboard, it is not part of Windows.  The reason I'm explaining this is because you will need to make sure that your DVD/CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.  If the DVD/CD-ROM isn't the first device in the boot order the computer will try to boot from the hdd.  After you post the make and model of this computer I can find out which brand of BIOS you have and should be able to provide you with instruction to navigate in the BIOS.  

I will provide you with instructions to download a copy of the Windows 7 installation disc and how to burn it to a DVD.  This disc will be bootable, this means that you can boot from it rather than booting from the operating system.  This disc will allow you to run the Startup Repair which may resolve this issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Dell computer, 660 I believe

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Running the Startup Repair from the Advanced Boot Options.

Restart your computer and boot into the Advanced Boot Options.  To do this start tapping the F8 key immediately after pressing the power button.

In the Advanced Boot Options click on Repair your computer and press Enter.

You will be prompted to choose your language, and may be asked to enter your user name and password.

This will open the System Recovery Options, click on Startup Repair.  This will start the repair scan.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

I am sure I will not be able to do all of this, I know I asked for help, but as I stated at the beginning I was and am not a computer savvy person. I can't believe why this happened to my computer, you have not given me the reason why This would have happened or how.

Thanks for you help, I guess I will have to take this PC to a shop, after I fail at what will be be my attempt to follow your instructions.

#6 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

When I place cd in in tray nothing happens the screen remains the same, I have no option to do anything except look at the screen of no boot device available

#7 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

You also state that the windows 7 version must be the same as the version downloaded initially to my computer
Are there different versions of windows 7 that I need to be aware of, if so what are they? My computer is quite new even in computer years.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

There are to versions of Windows, the 32-bit operating system and the 64-bit operating system.  You need to use the version that is installed on your computer.

Having been your shoes before I know how overwhelming this can seem to be.  There are basics which once you have learned things start to get a little easier to understand how to do things.

If the disc has been created properly but you can not boot from it you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that you DVD drive is the first device and the hard disk drive is the second.  Do you have a friend who would be able to help you do this?

#9 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

I called dell and they have stated, that they would send me a flash drive. I am guessing that it is the operating system download I need.
I have a call back scheduled with them, to talk me through the install and recovery of my operating system.

I have never once heard of anyone losing there complete operating system, new one on me. I did try to make a disc when I was prompted to do so when PC was new. I was not successful in doing this. I am hoping I will be able to keep the flash drive after its use is over. Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users