Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Studio 15 XP Boot Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 8eight

8eight

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hello,

I'm having a boot issue with my Dell Studio 15. It just hangs at the XP splash screen and the load bar continually scrolls. I was previously able to boot in Safe Mode, but when I tried running MBAM it froze up. I had not noticed any signs of Malware prior to the boot issue. Running the scan was just my initial response. But now when I attempt to boot in Safe Mode it just freezes altogether. Trying to figure out if the OS is corrupted or if there's something wrong with my HD. Unfortunately I have not been able to find my copy of XP to attempt to run recovery. Appreciate any help to trouble shoot issue and hopefully fix it.

Thanks,
8eight

Edited by 8eight, 11 July 2014 - 09:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

In this situation you can try to do a system restore offline. Hopefully you have System Restore enabled and a Restore Point close to the current date.

Go here and follow the steps to creart a ERD disk. Boot the CD and do a System Restore. It will do a partial system restore and hopefully let you boot up.

#3 8eight

8eight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

I am not sure what my last restore point is. How will that affect my programs installed and/or files that have not been backed up?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

The program will show a date of the last restore point. But, any program added after that will likely have to be reinstalled. It should not affect any of your files. It basically will set the registry back to that date. But, I can't confirm if any files added to the desktop will still be there. You could copy those files to a flash drive using the file manager and then do the system restore. Those files would be located at

C:\Documents and Settings\<your account name>\Desktop

The other option is to use ERD commander to copy over all of your important data and do a factory reset. I do not believe you would want that. All programs installed after purchase would be gone. It essentially starts you with a clean slate. Edit: This depends on if the computer has a Recovery Partition.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 July 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#5 8eight

8eight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

John I currently don't have another computer running on XP/2000/2003 available. Is there an alternate program that I can use to create a offline boot disc?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

If you have restore points you can restore them manually using a linux distro. It's a little more complicated but it can be done. You should download Puppy linux 5.2.8 and burn the iso file by double clicking it in Windows 7.

I usually recommend Puppy linux but for this I think it may be easier to use the File Manager in Parted Magic. You can download the last free version here. The latest version is a $5 download. You can open up the File manager and select your hard drive.

See this guide for copying files from a previous restore point. Pay attention to the dates of the files. In step 6 do not delete the files. Rename them with a bak extension.

You can also use the File Manager you copy over files from your desktop folder or any other file you want to an external drive or USB flash drive. If you added a file to the desktop after a system restore, you will need to back it up.

If you have any trouble following the guide post back and I will answer any questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users