Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing Wacom Tablet; Need Advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Roketto

Roketto

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

My ancient Wacom Tablet has finally died (I can't get drivers for it, & the pressure sensitivity is shot), so I've had to break down & hunt for a new replacement.  I went to my local Best Buy, & after looking at several models, all of which were too big or had too many bells & whistles for my needs, I brought home an Intuos tablet.  Got home, unplugged my old tablet, & unpacked the new one.  I realized immediately I would have a problem, looking at the USB cable.  The new tablet's was 3 feet long, where my old one was at least 5 & a half feet.  Here enlies my conundrum: I can't make the cable reach to physically plug in the new tablet, so it's worthless to me.  I looked online just now at another model I'd bookmarked (http://www.wacom.com/en/us/creative/intuos-manga), specifically looking for the cable length.  It isn't listed.  Now I'm worried that whatever I buy will fall short, disallowing me from plugging the stupid thing in!  So, here are my specifications:

• Must be a SMALL tablet to fit on my computer desk; the old one is 8"x7 1/2" & fits perfectly
  • Must have a cable that is at least 5 1/2' long to loop it around the back of the computer desk
  • Must be suitable for drawing lineart/freehand pressure-sensitive drawing; I don't need much else

So, anyone got any suggestions for where I go from here? :( I really miss my old tablet, & I just want one that's like it, & won't require either a significant learning curve or my shelling out big bucks.

Edited by Roketto, 11 July 2014 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

Roketto! HAI. Nice to see you again :) 

I have 2 older wacom tablets, one is a Bamboo. Wacom has changed the Bamboo to the name Intuous, and they are now wireless, so there is no cord or cable that needs to be plugged in with those particular tablets. 

If you can afford the price, I think wacom makes an excellent product, I note that are much more now than when I bought my other two...but i bet they are easier to use, plus the wireless is awesome, you could put it on your lap or sit across the room maybe lol 

The small Intuous here is 249.00 direct from wacom. Overall dimenions are 12.5 x 8.5, and again no cord so no need to worry about connections or where to place it or how far away. I couldn't deal with a 3 ft cable...no way! 

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Hello, Is this a specialized USB cable as you can get USB cables on ebay that are 6ft long and longer.

Here is a USB A to micro B cable.

Here is a USB A to B cable

#4 Roketto

Roketto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

@ Stolen: First off: Hi again!  Hope you're enjoying my story, if you decided to read it.  :wink: Second, the Intuos one I bought did not come with wireless I don't think...just the too-short cable.  :(   I just bought a 6-foot USB/Micro-USB cable at Office Depot, thinking I could just swap it out...no luck.  The black plastic part around the metal bit is too thick, & won't allow it to plug in to the tablet.  If you ask me, I think they do this purposely so everything's incompatible with their expensive products except their crummy, too-short cords. :thumbdown:  Then they force you to pay extra for the wireless package.

@ JohnC_21: Sorry, those cables you linked me too look exactly like the one I bought, which doesn't fit. :mellow: Are there any others that are thinner?

Edited by Roketto, 12 July 2014 - 02:45 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

It would be a mini b or a micro b. Sometimes the micro is a tight fit between devices.

See connectors on the wiki page. When you look at the end that plugs into the tablet, what shape is it?

From left to right

Micro-B plug, UC-E6 proprietary (non-USB) plug, Mini-B plug (This is maybe yours?), Standard-A receptacle (upside down), Standard-A plug, Standard-B plug

800px-Usb_connectors.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users