Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi but no internet

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shnvlkmn

Shnvlkmn

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hello,
New here and don't know a lot about computers.
I have a year old laptop and suddenly I can't connect to internet even though it says I have a Wifi connection. Any ideas how to remedy this? I have tried resetting router and that didn't work. I have an ipad and another laptop using vista. They both work fine. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

I assume that laptop is running Windows 7 or 8 since you didn't say.  Try running System Restore to go back to a date prior to the start of the problem.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Shnvlkmn

Shnvlkmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

Tried that also. No luck. It is running windows 8.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

OK, let's try this, download and run Speccy from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/ .  After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post.

Then download MiniToolBox and run it with the following boxes checked:

Flush DNS

Reset IE proxy settings

Reset FF proxy settings

List Installed Programs

List last 10 Event Viewer Errors

List Installed Programs

Copy the resulting log and paste into a reply here.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:57 AM

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Shnvlkmn

Shnvlkmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Asus notebook series

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

Can you be most specific about the model of this Asus?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 iConqueror

iConqueror

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:09 AM

If there is a yellow triangle on the connection icon in the taskbar that probably means that your IP config is incorrect i.e you have static addresses instead of dynamically assigned (DCHP) or your router possibly has MAC address filtering enabled

#9 Shnvlkmn

Shnvlkmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for trying everyone. I ended up taking it to geek squad and after telling them I wasn't interested in paying for them to find out what could be wrong they told me I could just reset Microsoft 8 and my laptop would go back to factory settings. So I saved what I wanted and reset and voila-I have internet.

#10 iConqueror

iConqueror

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Happy you got it solved. Tech people often over charge anyway even when there is just a simple fix :) what did they quote you?

#11 Shnvlkmn

Shnvlkmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

Well, of course they first offered the $200 package for a -I think- two year service plan. I said no. Then the $70 assessment on this problem with additional charges to fix what was wrong. They didn't pressure me and to be honest if I liked my laptop/notebook I may have paid but I don't. Funny though that they didn't tell me about the reset until after I declined their services. Got a make a living I guess...

#12 iConqueror

iConqueror

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:57 AM

Got a make a living I guess...

Yeah they have to make a living but not by ripping people off.

Its disgusting really their tactics. Of course they target the elderly and computer illiterate. I went into Harvey Norman (tech shop here in New Zealand) and they had a sign advertising 'Computer Repairs' which obviously included virus removal and all that basic stuff for $70 they had another offer which was for 'advanced' service which included everything with the basic but includes 'internet setup' aswell and for that they were charging $200!

What will the tech person to to remove a virus? Install a FREE antivirus run a scan and let it remove them.

Its a trap for the people that are not aware of what some people are like in this world today

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

There are members like myself who are here to help people like you and do it for free.

In the U.S. we have a chain of stores called "Best Buy" who have a flat fee of $200. for a repair, plus parts.  I had a discussion with a member of their "Geek Squad" who admitted that they were limited to one diagnostic tool to make repairs, this tool is a disc.  I asked them why they can't use some of the tools included in Windows like chkdsk or sfc /scannow, this person told me that most of the people in the Geek Squad were actually sales people and don't even know that these tools exist, this included the person I had been talking to.  If the disc isn't able to resolve the problem the computer is shipped to the "repair center".

#14 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

There are members like myself who are here to help people like you and do it for free.

In the U.S. we have a chain of stores called "Best Buy" who have a flat fee of $200. for a repair, plus parts.  I had a discussion with a member of their "Geek Squad" who admitted that they were limited to one diagnostic tool to make repairs, this tool is a disc.  I asked them why they can't use some of the tools included in Windows like chkdsk or sfc /scannow, this person told me that most of the people in the Geek Squad were actually sales people and don't even know that these tools exist, this included the person I had been talking to.  If the disc isn't able to resolve the problem the computer is shipped to the "repair center".

And yet they call themselves "geek"?. "Eek Squad" is more suitable. Hahaha.

Nice story.

Cheers!

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users