Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

QUESTION.....Cracking AxCrypt Password

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Naima700

Naima700

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Praying someone can HELP me with this. 

I have an Axcrypt AES file where I store poems I've written and I'm LOCKED OUT because I changed the password right before July 4th holiday. I know most of the password, it's a 12 letter password and I have 10 characters written down. I'm only missing 2 characters.

Because of an article posted on Bleeping Computer, I've downloaded several Password Crackers (you recommended CAIN & ABEL) but they're impossible to use if you don't know the tech language and how they work.  Most seemed geared to websites and hacking those sites--no info on Files. Can anyone tell me how to use CAIN & ABEL to recover or rather figure out my file's password?  It's an MSWORD file that I encrypted using Axcrypt (which is an AES algorithm). If it's not possible to do this with CAIN & ABEL then please tell me the software I need to crack this.

Edited by Naima700, 11 July 2014 - 03:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Do you know if the last two characters were capitalized or lower cased?

#3 Naima700

Naima700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

I'm not sure if they symbols, numbers or capitalized/lower cased. If they were letters they were most likely lower cased. 

I could just kick myself.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

Because of an article posted on Bleeping Computer, I've downloaded several Password Crackers (you recommended CAIN & ABEL)

Bleeping Computer does NOT recommend password crackers of any sort. To quote our forum rules:

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Naima700

Naima700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Because of an article posted on Bleeping Computer, I've downloaded several Password Crackers (you recommended CAIN & ABEL)

Bleeping Computer does NOT recommend password crackers of any sort. To quote our forum rules:

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

I'm sorry. The article was posted by PC World. 

Are you saying that Bleeping Computer is against helping people recover their own passwords when locked out of important files? Is there no one who can help us?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

It is not that we don't want to help as such, but we have no way of verifying the validity of your situation. The rule is there to protect the integrity of this forum.

According to the Axantum website, they might be able to recover the password for you, and given that you know most of the characters the chance of success should be high.

See here:

http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/faq.html#lost_passphrase

Edited by Budapest, 11 July 2014 - 07:32 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Naima700

Naima700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

It is not that we don't want to help as such, but we have no way of verifying the validity of your situation. The rule is there to protect the integrity of this forum.

According to the Axantum website, they might be able to recover the password for you, and given that you know most of the characters the chance of success should be high.

See here:

http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/faq.html#lost_passphrase

Thank you so much!!!! I will email them right away. 

Naima

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users