Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cd Player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Crabby

Crabby

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:12 PM

Hello,

I really wasn't sure where (on the web) to ask about this, but thought someone here might know.

I have a Goodman's audio system and the CD player on top doesn't work. It used to. Now it just spends about 10 seconds attempting to read a CD then will tell me that there is "no disc" inserted.

When trying to read a disc I can hear the lens moving in and out (I think, it sounds like a PSone trying to read a non-PSone disc). It has always done this with some CD-Rs but until now, proper CDs worked perfectly. Now I have approximately a 1 in 100 chance of a CD working.

Since I'm fairly sure I've never done anything that could have damaged the lens or anything, I figure it should be easy to fix, or maybe I can somehow replace the parts with some from a cheap PC CD-ROM drive? It sure would be a pain to have to buy a new one.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Crabby, 30 May 2006 - 12:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

Hi Crabby. It could be that the lens is dusty/dirty. You could try a CD/DVD lens cleaning kit. If that doesn't work I'm afraid your CD player is toast. Nowadays systems are built very inexpensively (read cheap) and are not repairable. Its unfortunate that they are throw-away items.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

I want to echo pascor22234's advice.

Any office supply or computer store should have a cleaning kit, and they should only cost about ten bucks, give or take. Give that a go first, then your option is to purchase a new drive. They do go bad on occasion.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Crabby

Crabby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2006 - 04:05 PM

If you mean those discs with the little brushes on with cleaning fluid then, I've already tried one.

What a shame :thumbsup:

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 05:24 PM

You could try going to a audio/video repair shop... The hairy guy that fixed your old VCR... :thumbsup: I had a cd player that was doing the exact same thing and tried the cleaning kit and it didn't work... but he opened the hole thing up and managed to clean it and now I can read cds... might be worth the 5-10$...

#6 Crabby

Crabby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2006 - 04:54 PM

Hah I'm not even sure such things exist any more.

There's just the unqualified dealers who refer you to the manufacturer, or tell you to go away if the warranty has expired :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users