Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Icons don't show up correctly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 otakugirl

otakugirl

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

I noticed this awhile ago on my computer, but didn't think much of it. Now I wonder if something is wrong.

When I am in windows like "Control Panel" or "My Computer", the icons do not appear as they should. The applications all work correctly, but the icons show up as the piece of paper with a webpage window on it. 

A few months ago I was working on cleaning out programs and other stuff from the computer that I won't use. I got this computer second hand from my dad. The computer was an office computer and had things like PeachTree Accounting. Any who, I don't know if I got delete/uninstall happy and removed something I shouldn't, or what but if anyone has a fix, that'd be great.

This machine is a Dell Dimension 2400 running XP Professional Version 2002 w/ SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

Sometimes the icon cache can become corrupted. This thread has a couple of fixes to try... http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/666118-generic-icons.html .

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Also, this thread has some advice ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534034/icons-issue/?hl=+win +icons +gone +generic

#4 otakugirl

otakugirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:25 PM

Thanks, I tried a search for icons before, didn't turn up what I needed. Guess I just didn't have the right keywords.

Any who, simply rebooting to safemode, then back to normal fixed the issue. Thanks! Glad it was a simple fix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users