Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I lost internet after running a performance program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lorblue

lorblue

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hello!  I hope someone can help me with this.... I have AVG Free on my Vista PC.  I clicked the "fix performance" button.  The scan said that I had over 250 registry errors, as well as junk files, fragments, etc.  I clicked the "fix now" button, it did what it does, and since then I can't connect to the internet at all.  Already checked with my ISP, they sent out a tech, and a second tech stopped in to help after two hours without a solution.  Both of the techs were able to connect through my modem with the wireless feature, and when I brought down my laptop, I was able to connect with the Ethernet cable. I tried to resolve it with AVG's support live chat, but that was a total joke.

My thought is that the AVG program deleted something that was necessary for the connection to go through.

Any ideas?????

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Do a System Restore to a date before running the "performance" enhancement.

#3 lorblue

lorblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:02 PM

Thank you, Elfbane, for your reply.  

Unfortunately, the system restore did not work.  I ran it several times, all the way back to the oldest date in the list.  After restarting each time I received the following message:

System Restore did not complete successfully.  Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details:

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore.

You might want to try System Restore again and choose a different restore point.

Is there anything else I could try?

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

The winsock and DNS functions may have been messed with by the AVG utility. Try this tool... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/ .

#5 lorblue

lorblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

Thank you once again, Elfbane, for your reply.  However, since the computer in question can't connect to the internet, how would I be able to download this tool?

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

DL it to another PC and sneaker-net it to the afflicted PC via a flash drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users