Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Not Working, Though Connected.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JustSomeGuyMan

JustSomeGuyMan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hello! First time posting, so I apologize if I do anything incorrectly.

So as of sometime this last weekend, my internet stop working correctly. I have Windows 7.

I left home Friday to visit my parents, and came home sunday to find it not functioning.

My computer claims to be connected, and I can go as far as properly ping google throught he command prompt successfully.

I have tried numerous suggested fixes from friends. Drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled(Both for my motherboard and wireless card/dongle), ips have been verified, pings have been established, routers have been reset and reverified, new hardware has been brought in, I've tried it with multiple different networks. I can ping Google through the command prompt, no problem.

And still nothing happens.

I mean that in a literal sense. When I bring up a browser window, I click a link or a favorite, and it tries connecting for a split second before stopping.

It doesn't even go to a "Cannot connect" or "Error" page or anything, it just doesn't move or go anywhere.

I have tried multiple different malware programs, including Combofix and Malwarebytes, and other fix programs like WindsockFix on top of that.

I have verified that I'm not being rerouted through any proxies, nor that I'm being blocked by any routers. Like I said, I've tried connecting to multiple different networks miles apart from eachother.

It is very specifically my PC. My roommates internet works fine, my phone connects fine, my 3DS works fine, and my PS3 works fine. All connect and work no problem.

I currently have my desktop at work, just to see if it was the internet provider I was suddently having a problem with. It was not.

The only clue I have as to when it stopped working was that my AVG Virus program updated around 7pm Saturday Jul 5th--Literally in the middle of me not being anywhere near my home or computer.

So I'm out of ideas. My friends are out of ideas.

So hey! Let's ask the internet. You guys are smart.

Well, if you need any more information about my set up, by all means, ask away.

I'm at work currently, so I have internet readily available.

Thanks for reading!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Hello and Welcome

Try resetting Winsock and TCP/IP using the command line.

In the search box type CMD  > Right click > Run as Administrator, At the prompt type:

netsh winsock reset  <enter>

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt  <enter>

Reboot

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Try these 3 tools you can download here at BC.  AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, and TDSSKiller.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ .  

After that Please download and run Speccy from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/ .  After running it click File -> Publish snapshot... Copy and paste the link it gives you into your next post. 

Then download MiniToolBox and run it with the following boxes checked:

List last 10 Event Viewer Errors

List Installed Programs

Copy the resulting log and paste into a reply here.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 JustSomeGuyMan

JustSomeGuyMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

Hello and Welcome

Try resetting Winsock and TCP/IP using the command line.

In the search box type CMD  > Right click > Run as Administrator, At the prompt type:

netsh winsock reset  <enter>

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt  <enter>

Reboot

John, you are a beautiful person. I think this did the job!

The internet is working on my computer(Though incredibly slowly--I think that's just due to my work wireless being quite terrible, hopefully.)

So thank you so much! Man. I was THIS close to reformating the whole thing.

What a time saver!

I'll update you when I get home, just to make sure it's my work internet being slow, and not my computer itself.

Thank you so much!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

Your Welcome. Glad it worked out for you. It was probably the Winsock reset as you could ping Google but it doesn't hurt to do the TCP reset. Maybe the slow down is AVG related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users