Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RED STRIPE on top of screen....wth??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lardadclark

lardadclark

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

got a new comp built and win 7 wont finish load/boot and a red stripe at the top shows up when it stops loading even in safe mode....any suggestions? I have a new win7 disc and have even switched hard drives to no avail... Gigabyte mobo, 8g RAM, Intel J1800 SoC,tried SSD and HDD...  HELP!!  Thanx 

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2014 - 08:59 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Run a memtest86 to test your ram. Download one of the versions here: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Burn to a disc and boot to the disc. They also have a bootable flash drive version (backup your flash drive because it requires a format).

If you have errors let me know and also let me know how many sticks of ram you have and their size also what slot each stick is in. I can likely tell you which stick is bad if you supply all of the information (if a stick is bad).

Do you have onboard video or are you using an add in video card? If you have an add in card and onboard try using just the onboard graphics. Try removing all non essential hardware such as wireless cards, sound cards etc. Just power supply, ram, cpu, cpu cooler, hard drive, onboard video, monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 lardadclark

lardadclark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

no luck....wont boot from memtest usb...have onboard video,2 sticks of DDR3L 1333 MHz ram 4Gb each, only had a wi-fi card installed so removed it. any other ideas....

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

Are you using a TV as your monitor?  The few instances I see of such...all relate to TVs.

Which Gigabytes motherboard do you have?  Is it a new board?

Louis

#5 lardadclark

lardadclark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

yes I am using a small SHARP monitor hooked up via rgb cable. My mobo is new a GA-J1800N-D2H I do have an old monitor in the garage if it still works.How would that affect my mobo?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

A change of monitor, keyboard, or mouse...should have no impact at all on any desktop system.  Properly connected and properly functional...those devices are interchangeable on any desktop.  If you take your system to any computer shop for repairs...you never have to take your monitor in because they have monitors available that can be connected to your system.

Louis

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

Try loading windows with just 1 stick of ram in 1 slot. If it fails, try moving that stick to the next slot and try loading again. If it still fails, swap that stick with the other stick and try the new stick in both slots as well. A bad slot or bad stick of ram may cause windows to fail to load. I have had this happen several times.

If you can burn a disc with memtest maybe that will boot instead of trying the usb version. Sometimes the usb version can be tricky to get working. Memtest would help rule ram out. If you do get memtest to work, run it with both sticks installed.

Edited by zingo156, 13 July 2014 - 10:58 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users