Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Many Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PuppleKao

PuppleKao

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:52 AM

Ok, I lent my old laptop to my mother, one day, to use as she did her travelling thing. She calls me up, and tells me it's not working anymore, and she's going to get her own laptop. When I get the laptop back from her and check it, these are the problems that I've noticed:
(XP Home edition, btw)

1. The "All Programs" link on the start bar won't show anything.
2. Whenever any of the links on the right side of the start-bar are clicked (Run, search, etc), a warning box pops up that says "Windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?" (Control panel link does work, though)
3. Firefox works fine, but there is no cursor so that I can type anything if I use IE (even using the IE tab extension in firefox).
4. There are no picture thumbnails at all.
5. Although system restore says it's on (and, as far as I know, hasn't been turned off), there are no restore points to restore to.
6. I cannot get windows updater to run. (When I try and run windows updater, after it has me choose which install I'd like -custom or express-, it then comes up with an error that says "Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer." When I tell it to register or install the files, it goes back to the choice for custom or express install, and just starts the whole thing over again.)
7. Add/remove programs doesn't show anything on the list.

When I got the computer back from her, the anti-virus she had was expired, but I know it was working when she stopped using the computer, I ran an ad-aware scan, and tried to run some on-line virus scans, but couldn't get any of the ones I tried to work.

The laptop is a Compaq Presario 2500, running (according to the system information) XP home with SP2.
I can get online and download with it, and I've got the working laptop right next to it, in case something doesn't work. I'm hoping to avoid a re-install of XP if I can, as I'd have to borrow a disc from someone, since I lost my compaq restore disc. I appreciate any help! Thanks in advance! =)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 12:24 PM

Borrowing a Compaq Restore disk will not work unless it is for the exact same model which originally came with the exact same options (hardware).

Even if you could find that, or if you use a Windows XP retail full install disk you will need your 25 digit MS Key/license number.

Being that Firefox still works, I suggest you download and use Magicaljellybean Keyfinder v1.41 which you can download from magicaljellybean.com which will give you the key number for the installation of Windows on your computer.
Write it down and save it as you will need it, if not now, certainly in the future.

Your inability to use Internet Explorer (and therefore your ability to use Active X) is what is preventing you from being able to use Windows Update
and most of the web based anti-virus scans. They will not work with mozilla based browsers like Firefox.

There is one scan that is java based and will work with Firefox:

Trend Micro antivirus European Edition (supports Mozilla based browsers)
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/h...call_launch.php

You can also download and install Hijack This on your root drive (not on the desktop and not in a temp folder), and then post a HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum)

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

#3 C J.

C J.

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:08 PM

Borrowing a Compaq Restore disk will not work unless it is for the exact same model which originally came with the exact same options (hardware).

Even if you could find that, or if you use a Windows XP retail full install disk you will need your 25 digit MS Key/license number.

Being that Firefox still works, I suggest you download and use Magicaljellybean Keyfinder v1.41 which you can download from magicaljellybean.com which will give you the key number for the installation of Windows on your computer.
Write it down and save it as you will need it, if not now, certainly in the future.

Your inability to use Internet Explorer (and therefore your ability to use Active X) is what is preventing you from being able to use Windows Update
and most of the web based anti-virus scans. They will not work with mozilla based browsers like Firefox.

There is one scan that is java based and will work with Firefox:

Trend Micro antivirus European Edition (supports Mozilla based browsers)
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/h...call_launch.php

You can also download and install Hijack This on your root drive (not on the desktop and not in a temp folder), and then post a HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum)

Read the pinned post in our “HijackThis” forum,
here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Carefully read and follow all directions explicitly.

Following instructions create a HJT log, and POST THE HJT LOG YOU CREATED IN OUR HJT FORUM – not in this forum,
at this link.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/posthjtlog.html
Include the specs for your computer (ie, processor, amount of RAM, brand or motherboard, etc, and briefly describe the problem you are experiencing.)

Unless you are expert at editing the registry, Do not use the Hijack This program to try to fix anything by yourself as even what may seem to be a small mistake can render your operating system inoperable.
Some files when in the correct folder for them may be fine while in another may be malware hiding.

A member of our expert HJT Team will analyze your log, make recommendations and offer assistance, walking you through the complete repair process.

It may take a period of time to get a response to the log you posted because the members of our HJT Team are kept very busy.
Please be patient as this team is manned by volunteers. They will help you in order received as soon as possible.

NOTE
Once you have posted your HJT log, please DO NOT make any additional posts in the HJT forum thread you created until you get a response from a member of our HJT expert team, and do not make any changes to your system (changes, including any attempted repairs, will make your computer to be different than displayed in the log you posted and therefore make your log inaccurate).

The first criteria the HJT Team has when looking for logs that need replies are posts showing 0 replies. If you make an additional post, it will show as having 1 reply.
A team member, looking for a new log that requires help might well assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and might not open the thread to respond.

So, post your HJT Log in our HJT Forum (not here in this forum) and wait for a response from a HJT team member.

Good advice... even better to the original poster - is not to let Ol Mom borrow it again :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users