Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mysterious raid multiple HDD failures

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 focusbob

focusbob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hi forum! I have a p6t deluxe v2 mobo with 4 HDDs connected to the ich10r data ports. 2 (raptors) configured in raid0 and 2 (WD 7500aaks) configured in raid 1. Some time ago, started having issues with the raid 1 array, first with the Intel matrix raid program spitting errors that the raid was degraded and one drive missing. Then started to hang on startup and would take a long time to open when I clicked on the raid 1 drive in windows 7.

I tried a different port (on a different internal sata controller) and a different power supply lead for the "missing drive" in question and it failed to recognize the drive on startup. I ordered an identical new drive from the interwebs, got her last night and plopped her in to the og sata port where I had removed the "failed" HDD. So far so normal. (All of these swaps were done with power cut)

Next, I booted the computer, the 2 7500aaks drives were detected fine, raid 1 listed as degraded as expected. However, the raid 0 array was listed as "failed" and one of the raptor drives was not detected. As a result can't boot to OS. Triple checked all the physical connections.

Baffled. Thoughts?

Edited by focusbob, 11 July 2014 - 08:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Coincidence? If it were me, I would thoroughly test both of the drives that "failed" with some hdd utility in another computer(MHDD is what I use). It is entirely possible you had 2 drive failures. I have had 2 drives in raid 1 fail at exactly the same time, thank my lucky stars I do regular backups even of raid arrays. If you test the drives that "failed" and they end up being ok, you may have a raid controller problem. Sometimes powering off machines and then powering them back on will cause failures. I have had multiple power supplies never come back on after a power down/unplug to replace components. I suppose the same could happen to hard drives.

Raid 0 is not something I use unless it is acceptable to have a failure and down time or speed is required.

Try connecting the drives to different computers and run diagnostics on them.

Edited by zingo156, 11 July 2014 - 08:50 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 focusbob

focusbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

So, I took the first "failed" drive (from the raid 1), connected it to a sata-usb adapter, plugged it into my laptop and the drive pops up, I can pull up files, play music, etc seems fine. Do you think further testing is needed or is this sufficient?

The thing that's strange to me is that the drive wouldn't register in windows when i plugged it into the sata ports on the p6t v2 mobo that are not associated with the ich10r. I could understand if the ich10r stopped working but why would all sata ports be affected?

I guess I'm trying to decide whether I need a new motherboard, and because it will be expensive and a pain to install, I'm trying to make sure that is what would actually solve the problem. 

Edited by focusbob, 11 July 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#4 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

It could also be a possible PSU problem though. Have you tried to swapped a known good working PSU?

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#5 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

I second the PSU. I have lost many TB of data through wonky power problems. Cheap to replace compared to lost data.

DEIT: oh, yeah, you DO have a back up strategy, don't you?

Edited by dikbozo, 13 July 2014 - 12:31 AM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

Another possibility is a failed or disconnected SATA cable.  Any time you're inside the case and something else stops working you should reseat your cables.

I would think the power supply unit (PSU) to be more likely if reseating the cables doesn't solve your issues.

#7 focusbob

focusbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Thanks all, through more in depth trouble shooting, following the first suggestions more carefully, I've determined it was a double drive failure which may or may not have been caused by a malfunctioning fan and resultant overheating.

#8 focusbob

focusbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

The raid 1 drive would function via a USB adapter but was registering smart errors whereas the raid 0 drive was dead as a doornail. I don't know what caused it necessarily, could be power supply, but its a 900 watt PC power and cooling PSU attached to a power conditioner so I'm doubtful it was the psu.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

The raid 1 drive would function via a USB adapter but was registering smart errors whereas the raid 0 drive was dead as a doornail. I don't know what caused it necessarily, could be power supply, but its a 900 watt PC power and cooling PSU attached to a power conditioner so I'm doubtful it was the psu.

I was going to suggest running something like MHDD to test the hard drives but smart errors pretty much say it all. A good raid controller should give you warnings when smart errors happen. It seems to me it was an unlucky coincidence. After having a raid 1 mirror with 2 drive failures at exactly the same time, I started mixing seagate and western digital drives in my raid 1 arrays, or using 2 different models from the same company. Drive failures happen and it can be completely random. If you moved the computer around and bumped it when replacing the first bad drive, it may have been enough to damage the drive. I have seen a 4 inch fall with a laptop completely destroy a hard drive (the laptop was on and running when it happened, if it was off, I bet it would have been fine). I opened the drive since the customer didn't need anything and told me to recycle the drive. There was a long scratch in the platter on the top and the head had ripped off the arm.

Edited by zingo156, 13 July 2014 - 10:51 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users