Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can i install windows 8/8.1 on my laptop of 3gb ram ??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 putta

putta

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

Currently i am using "DELL VOSTRO 1014" with "Windows 7 64 bit" installed in it.

It runs on "INTEL CORE 2 DUO" processor and "3gb Ram".

Currently i have trouble with booting, it is very slow.

So, given my specifications can i upgrade to windows 8 or 8.1 ??

will their be any troubles facing with my small RAM??

And if Yes, which should i prefer, either windows 8 or 8.1 ??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

Windows 8 will run on a lot less than that.

Go with 8.1, though: A LOT smoother and stable.

If the device doesn't support pen and touch: Stay with Windows 7 or the GUI of 8 may set you off. A clean install of Win 7 will amaze you if you haven't experienced it. :thumbup2:

Edited by bludgard, 11 July 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

The system requirements for Windows 8 and 8.1 are here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/system-requirements

However, you should run the respective upgrade advisor from here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

One last thing, you should check the manufacturer of your computer to see if they have drivers for the version of Windows (8 or 8.1) you intend to install.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Very good advice above.  I have 8.1 running on two computers with no more power than yours.  One is a HP with E7500 dual core processor and 3 GB RAM.  The other is a home built AMD Athlon-II X3 with TWO GB RAM.  The latter runs well as long as I don't start more than 7 or 8 tasks, the other one with 3 GB can do most anything I want.  I've added Classic Shell which gives me the Start menu and the look and feel of Windows 7.  You can download it from Classicshell.net.  Personally I think that Metro (aka Modern) mode stuff in 8 is for the birds, but desktop mode works very well, and I've been able to do anything with it that I can do with Windows 7.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 Bitcoin

Bitcoin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Windows 8.1 has some improved optimization for lower-class hardware than 8.1 (As long as it is capable of running 8.1) so I'd go with 8.1 over 8 if I were you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users