Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU FAN FAILED: HP COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ3000

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 erickhew

erickhew

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

I have a hp presario CQ3000 desktop which gives me the error

'ERROR: CPU Fan Has Failed! PC will automatically power down in a few seconds. Service the PC immediately to prevent damage to the PC'.....

i have tried replacing the PSU and the fan itself with another but the problem wont go away. It is running on windows XP and the BOIS update is not on the Hp official site. Anyone with an idea? The only option i had left was to update the BIOS and change fan Settings.

Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

Check for blown or bulging capactors on the mainboard examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=bulging+or+blown+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ve6_U-3lHtSyyASauYLoDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1272&bih=766

Did you replace the fan with an identical fan? Sometimes you will get a fan error if you replace with a different fan that does not run at the same rpm as the original.

It might be worth re-setting the cmos. Either use the jumpers, restore settings to default from bios, or pull all power to the computer and pull out the cmos battery. Press the power button when the computer is unplugged to drain remaing charges in capacitors, wait 30 seconds and plug everything back in.

Edited by zingo156, 11 July 2014 - 09:06 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 erickhew

erickhew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for your response.

The fan i replaced looks identical to the previous one. I got it from Compaq 500mt which is in good condition.

Ive checked on the capacitors and none is blown or swollen.

Ive also tried draining the power from the machine without the cmos battery and the jumpers.

Ive also reset the bios settings but the error still pops up.

Any other ideas please?

NB: I can be able to skip the error and log on to the machine.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Are you certain the fan is connected to the cpu fan header on the mainboard? Is the fan actually spinning?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 erickhew

erickhew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:27 AM

Yeah its connected to the board and I have tried reconnecting several times. The fan spins when I turn the computer on but then after the error the machine shuts down :(

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

Did the fan work correctly on the Compaq 500mt? Double check that the fan is connected to the mainboard where it says CPU. There may be more than one place to plug in the fan.

Try another fan if it still doesn't work. I would order one specifically by the model number on the original fan.

If a new identical fan does not work, there is likely something wrong with the mainboard.

As a last step you could try to flash the bios firmware with the newest version directly from HP's website if they have a new version available. Since you have already reset the cmos, if a new fan does not work and flashing the bios doesn't fix it, you would likely need to replace the mainboard to fix the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users