Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Utorrent issue after Malwarebytes- how to uninstall utorrent

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Blazedog12

Blazedog12

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

Hi.  Sorry but I wasn't sure where to put this question.  I downloaded Malwarebytes two days ago to deal with a virus I think I may have gotten through an email I opened (even though I didn't click on anything in it).  Anyway, Malwarebytes cleared up the problems I was having, quarantined a bunch of stuff and my system is working fine now except that I keep getting pop-ups alerting me to a malicious detection -- ingoing and outgoing -- related to a utorrent.exe file.  There are numerous ip addresses coming up and I want to uninstall utorrent from my computer.  But when I went to the program list in the control panel ... no utorrent.  It is listed in the program files when I right click on Start but I don't know if it's even possible to uninstall from there.  I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to uninstall this program.  I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

Download the Revo Uninstaller 30 day free trial from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/ and see if you can uninstall it with that.  It works well for me.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Using any torrent, file sharing, peer-to-peer (P2P) program (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, BitComet, uTorrent, BitLord, BearShare, Azureus/Vuze, Skype, etc) or visiting such sites is a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. In some cases the computer could be turned into a malware honeypot or zombie.

File sharing networks are thoroughly infested with malware according to security firm Norman ASA and many of them are unsafe to visit or use. The reason for this is that file sharing relies on its members giving and gaining unfettered access to computers across the P2P network. This practice can make you vulnerable to data and identity theft, system infection and remote access exploit by attackers who can take control of your computer without your knowledge.

...It is almost never safe to download executable programs from peer-to-peer file sharing networks because they are a major source of malware infections.

Software Cracks: A Great Way to Infect Your PC

Even if you change the risky default settings to a safer configuration, downloading files from an anonymous source increases your exposure to infection because the files you are downloading may actually contain a disguised threat. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and malicious Flash ads that install malware. Many malicious worms and Trojans, such as the Storm Worm, target and spread across P2P files sharing networks because of their known vulnerabilities.

Further some file sharing programs are bundled with other free software you may download (sometimes without the knowledge or consent of the user) and can be the source of various issues and problems to include Adware, and browser hijackers as well as malware.

Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup. They are also configured to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer. The best way to eliminate these risks is to avoid using P2P applications and torrent web sites.Since P2P programs are a security risk, Malwarebytes looks for them and in some cases they can trigger Malicious Website Blocking alerts.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Blazedog12

Blazedog12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

Thank you Wpqwpq and Quietman7.  I will definitely try that uninstaller you referred me too.  I know it sounds naive but I honestly didn't realize how insecure P2P software was until now.  I've always been very careful what I downloaded and I thought as long as I was, that it was o.k.  I didn't know that even if I had no active torrents on my computer the port was still somehow open to potential incoming and outgoing attacks.  Now that I know, I will be uninstalling utorrent and don't plan to use it any longer.  Any downloading I do will have to be done by a safer method.  Thanks for the advice.  I appreciate your help.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#6 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:55 AM

Hello All:

When the holder of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Consumer-Trial/Premium uses (always against advice) any P2P application, and MBAM blocks incoming Malicious Website requests towards the P2P application, the system user's level of concern is understandable, and MBAM has protected the system against possible attack.

However, when MBAM's Malicious Website Blocking feature has blocked outgoing activities, the user's level of concern should be elevated considerably.

Under these circumstances above, the system user may do well to have a Malware Removal Expert, check for unresolved malware issues.

Edited by 1PW, 12 July 2014 - 12:59 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#7 Blazedog12

Blazedog12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

Thank you 1PW.  I agree that the outgoing blocked activities were the ones that were the most concerning and what made me want to get the software off my computer.  It does look as though I've removed utorrent at this point, although I'm not certain all parts of it are gone.  I can say that the pop-up notifications have stopped and I haven't gotten one since yesterday.  For peace of mind, to check for unresolved malware issues, how would I do that with a Malware Expert?  Thanks again.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

If you need individual assistance with malware infection, you can start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum or follow the instructions provided in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. (Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run DDS and create a log)
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users