Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My DVD drive isn't working

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Broski899

Broski899

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

Hi, I have a rather old computer and for a while now the DVD drive hasn't been working. However, it can read CD's perfectly fine. I've tried many options on this website and others but I just can't seem to get it to work. I have a Dell Windows HP Home edition. Please assist me in any way you can, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

Modern optical drives usually have 2 lasers. One for DVD and one for ordinary CDs. It is possible (and it happens a lot) for the DVD laser to fail, but the CD laser works fine. IOW, you need a new optical drive.

#3 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

Modern optical drives usually have 2 lasers. One for DVD and one for ordinary CDs. It is possible (and it happens a lot) for the DVD laser to fail, but the CD laser works fine. IOW, you need a new optical drive.

How do i get that?  :huh: Do I have to go someplace to get it repaired or does this mean that I should just give up on this computer?

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:15 AM

Swap in a new one they are quite cheap, yours is old probably due to break its belt anyway.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

Swap in a new one they are quite cheap, yours is old probably due to break its belt anyway.

Where can I get it at though? :o Can I just go to Target or something and find it there?

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

What is the model number of your computer?  Needed so can suggest an appropriate replacement drive.  They aren't quite one size fits all.

Edited by jonuk76, 11 July 2014 - 07:26 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Probably get one for under $20 at your local comp repair or $10 shipped from eBay. Make sure (as stated) that it is compatible. IDE, SATA etc. interface.

#8 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

What is the model number of your computer?  Needed so can suggest an appropriate replacement drive.  They aren't quite one size fits all.

Um, how exactly do I find the model number? Sorry, I'm clueless when it comes to computers.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

It should be on a label somewhere on the case.  Or else download Speccy and publish a snapshot using this guide.

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:58 AM

Sorry for not replying any sooner, I had to scan my computer for viruses cause apparentley I accidently installed something malicious onto my computer.

#11 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:59 AM

Anyway, here is the Speccy snapshot you asked for, jonuk76:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Cahzgw24dmmFiBSrTpLvypc

#12 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

This appears to be an IDE optical drive. So when you get the new one at the store, make sure the drive is for IDE cabling.

Side note; I looked at an image of this MB (motherboard) and it appears to have one SATA port, which could be used for the optical drive if necessary, BUT you will need the appropriate SATA cable.

Side note #2; You're gonna need a geek to do this work for you, so start lining one up.

Edited by ElfBane, 12 July 2014 - 06:15 AM.

#13 Broski899

Broski899
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

This appears to be an IDE optical drive. So when you get the new one at the store, make sure the drive is for IDE cabling.

Side note; I looked at an image of this MB (motherboard) and it appears to have one SATA port, which could be used for the optical drive if necessary, BUT you will need the appropriate SATA cable.

Side note #2; You're gonna need a geek to do this work for you, so start lining one up.

Alright then, thanks ElfBane for the info. I'll look into it and update if I expirence any problems after getting the new drive or if it still isn't working. Thanks everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users