Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron Won't Boot.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brmommy

brmommy

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

My Dell Inspiron 17R 5721 won't boot. I shut it down this morning. Then tonight it won't boot up. It just starts chirping. The screen doesn't light up or anything. Just over 1 month out of warranty. The chirping does not stop. WIth the chirp it sounds like a slight buzzing at the same time then quits. What does this mean? Where do I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Dreamer2

Dreamer2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Brmommy,

It doesn't sound like its passing the Power On Self Test.  A computer gives a beep or a series of beeps before it loads the Operating system.  Check for a stuck or sticky buttton.  Look for any evidence of errant crumb snatcher damage or liquid spillage.  Unplug, pull the battery, press the on button for a few seconds.  Put it back together and see if its still screaming. If its been dropped, kicked or stomped on there's gonna be problems. Oh, wait a minute, its a computer.  There will be problems.  It's late and I'm really just lurking.  I take my Comptia A+ exams next week, so someone here will have to pitch in.  If its not even passing POST, something's stuck, broke, or shorted out.  Get a second opinion, I'm still uneasy helping people. 40 years of computer experience, several college courses, and I still feel stupid.

Good luck,

Gary

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

This is my suggestion, since an identical model is still being distributed, 

Call Dell, explain the situation, don't blow your cool at all costs. Ask to see what they'll do for you. Sometimes you can get a helpful tech & they'll do something, even if you have to pay for shipping, There's always the chance this is common with these models, you have nothing to lose but a few minutes time. 

Now that being stated, this is the precise reason why everyone who buys a new computer should buy a SquareTrade warranty. With up to 40% off, up to max of $30, 4 year warranties are very low cost. So if chance this computer is a lemon & it costs too much to fix, keep SquareTrade in mind for your next computer purchase. 4 years for a little over $100 isn't bad. 

It's seemed that for every day in the last week, a computer is dropping after the warranty expires. I doubt it's intended, however though specs has improved greatly over the last 3-4 years, quality has gone downhill by an equal amount. Used to be a Dell notebook would run for years before giving trouble, now it's the opposite. 

Anyway, that would be a good place to start, is by contacting Dell. The worst thing they can say is they can't assist you. 

See what they say, then post back. We'll do our best to assist.  :)

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Dreamer2

Dreamer2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

True that.  Just the same.  Get a can of air.  Blow out the keys.  Gently, turn it upside down, tap it, not bang, it on it's side, blow out the vents.  If you've been runninig it while the vents were blocked or in an environment that's less than ideal, something might have popped. (bad capacitors, overheated cpu)  The times when I've seen this, its been a stuck key or an actual insect in the machine. Now deceased. For anyone to help you on the internet, its got to, at least, give a beep code after the Power On Self Test.  Chirpping  isn't one of them. Oviously, you gained alternative web access, search and see if there are large numbers of failures.  As much as I dislike certain Mfgs, I still running an Inspiron e1705 from 2006.  Of course, it's been moded and is missing the "end" key. It triple boots xp,7 and Fedora. I'm here lurking for answers as to why the xp OS won't take a USB joystick w/o BSOD w/ a 0x7e stop error.

I probably screwed it up. I wouldn't listen to me.

Peace,

Gary

#5 Dreamer2

Dreamer2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

When you talk to Dell, be assertive, not agressive.  The person on the other end is already having a bad day, too.  They're just like you and do want to help.

Gary

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

When you talk to Dell, be assertive, not agressive.  The person on the other end is already having a bad day, too.  They're just like you and do want to help.

Gary

I've found this to be true of Dell myself. Back in 2009, they furnished to me at no charge the reinstall CD of the original OS, plus a System Utilities CD, for a notebook that I bought as a refurb from an eBay seller. That was beyond the call of duty, being that I wasn't the original owner & a year out of warranty. 

The lady whom assisted me was very pleasant & understood my needs, Plus the package was sent by overnight FedEx shipping. 

You'll never know what's available until you ask. There isn't a charge for asking. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 blgdinger

blgdinger

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:47 PM

I'm just saying, it sounds like your motherboard is dead. If it were absolutely anything else you would either see an error on the screen or hear a distinct beep pattern, but not the chirping. Even if the memory needed to be reseated, it would still give an actual beep code.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:51 AM

blgdinner,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

Since this Topic is nearly two years old, while we're happy to have you abroad, it may be best to move onto a newer Topic where assistance is needed more urgently. :)

Until the OP returns, there's no further need for responses here, unless someone with an exact identical model has the same concern. Which is one reason why we don't close Topics, nor does members has a 'Mark as Solved' option, which on some sites does the same. 

In the meantime, please feel free to read our Welcome guide, has answers to common questions for new members. :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/welcome-guide/

We hope that you find your stay at Bleeping Computer fulfilling & meets your needs or goals. Plus you can meet a lot of new friends here over time. :)

Regards, 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 20 May 2016 - 01:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users